This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5207 / 52°31'14"N
Longitude: 1.6731 / 1°40'23"E
OS Eastings: 649283
OS Northings: 297769
OS Grid: TM492977
Mapcode National: GBR YSB.XH5
Mapcode Global: VHM66.YWCZ
Entry Name: Somerleyton Hall
Listing Date: 29 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282401
Location: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet, Waveney, Suffolk, NR32
Civil Parish: Somerleyton, Ashby and Herringfleet
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Somerleyton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
SOMERLEYTON SOMERLEYTON PARK
TM 49 NE
4/50 Somerleyton Hall
Mansion. Small C16 core; rebuilt 1844 by John Thomas for Sir Morton Peto.
Red brick with stone dressings. Slated roof. Principally in the Jacobean
style. Mainly 2 storeys with attics. Entrance front. 9-bay centre with
flanking projecting wings of 5 bays (left) and 3 bays (right): large paned
cross windows with quoined stone surrounds. Cornice and flat parapet, broken
in the centre by the Crossley family arms. Shaped end gables to wings.
Across the centre a single-storey stone loggia of French Renaissance
derivation with semi-circular headed windows, 2 open arches and an
elaborately-carved projecting porch with cupola. Heavy entrance door with
moulded panels. Various stacks with groups of detached octagonal shafts. Set
back to the left is a tall square Italianate tower with pierced stone parapet
surmounted by urns. Garden front. Symmetrical, in 11 bays arranged
1:4:1:4:1; windows as entrance front but with solid stone surrounds. Wide 3-
storey end bays, enriched by engaged square columns and with 2-storey 5-light
canted bay windows. Central 3-storey stone porch, open to the ground floor
and with a first floor oriel window; superimposed orders of enriched engaged
square columns. Pierced stone parapet broken by a range of 8 hooded dormers
and by coats of arms on the end bays. Interior. Panelled entrance hall, the
panels infilled with marble and framed by 12 carved oak columns; dome with
stained glass panels of local game birds. The staircase hall has a heavy
panelled ceiling carried on console brackets; heavy well stair of oak, with
turned balusters and square newel posts. In the main drawing room (now called
the ballroom) an ornate panelled ceiling in Jacobean style and opposing marble
statuary fireplaces. The adjacent Oak Parlour contains some good woodwork re-
used from the old house: late C17 panelling, early C18 carved doorcases and
boldly-carved overmantel frieze and drops in the style of Gibbons. 2 carved
doorcases and matching fireplace in the Dining Room may also be re-used C18
work. The present library was formed c.1920 when the 2-storey Banqueting Hall
was floored over: this is the only major spatial alteration to the interior.
For a fuller description, especially of the interior, see Somerleyton An
Illustrated Guide (public guidebook); Connoisseur December 1962 pp.209-215.
The surrounding park and gardens are included in the HBMC County Register of
Gardens at Grade II*.
Listing NGR: TM4928397769
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings