History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Childrey, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5871 / 51°35'13"N

Longitude: -1.4818 / 1°28'54"W

OS Eastings: 436001

OS Northings: 187708

OS Grid: SU360877

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y3.J5T

Mapcode Global: VHC11.8CHP

Plus Code: 9C3WHGP9+R7

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 11 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198075

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250682

Location: Childrey, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Childrey

Built-Up Area: Childrey

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SU3687 (South side)
7/55,12/55 The Manor House
25/10/51 (Formerly listed as The Manor)

House. Early Cl6, remodelled c.1900. Uncoursed chalk rubble, limestone
dressings and buttresses; stone slate roof, brick stacks. Eearly C16 block to
left with taller and slightly earlier wing to right which was largely
remodelled when the rear right extensions were built. 2 storeys, 7-window range
to front facing church. Two left bays have 3-light cavetto-moulded stone-
mullioned early C16 leaded casements with arched heads and label moulds. Door
immediately to right has four-centered arch of c.1900 leading to an early C16
doorway with moulded 4-centered architrave and 6-panelled door of c.1900. All
windows to right are 2 and 3-light windows of c.1900 in similar style to the
original; also 2 one-light windows of c.1900 with splayed stone surrounds.
Gabled roof, right block has asymmetrical gables facing front and rising to the
right; four-flue ridge stack of c.1900 to left wing and double-flue ridge stacks
rise flush from right gable walls. Left side of early C16 wing has similar
2-light early C16 windows and canted bay windows of c.1900 to rear. Left gable
wall of right block is timber framed with close studding, and exposed section
of rear wall has similar early C16 two-light window over blocked C16 door. The
remaining rear right extension was all built c.1900 in similar style and
materials. Interior not inspected. The house was owned by the Fettiplace family
in the C16, and enlarged c.1900 by William Schoolcroft Burton, J.P.

Listing NGR: SU3599887708

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.