This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7256 / 51°43'32"N
Longitude: -1.546 / 1°32'45"W
OS Eastings: 431456
OS Northings: 203082
OS Grid: SP314030
Mapcode National: GBR 5TY.RYK
Mapcode Global: VHC07.5W1J
Entry Name: Dovecote 10 Metres to Rear of P Strainge's Butcher's Shop
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253340
Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Bampton
Built-Up Area: Bampton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP3003-3103 BAMPTON BRIDGE STREET
13/34 Dovecote 10m to rear of
12/09/55 P. Strainge's Butcher's Shop
(Formerly listed as Dovecote
55 yards SW of Ye Talbot Inn)
Dovecote, with ground floor now used as garage. Probably C17, altered C20.
Coursed rubble limestone with semi-dressed quoins, stone slate roof with moulded
gable copings. Rectangular building with tall loft. Each gable end has high
chamfered stone mullion window with 2 arched lights and a Tudor hoodmould. East
side has C20 garage opening, board door with fanlight and wooden lintel to
right, and small board door at first floor level in chamfered stone surround.
Square wooden glover to centre of roof, with stone ball finial. Interior retains
nesting boxes. Each gable end has later extensions, south gable with lean-to
garage, north gable with stone slated gabled projection and C20 flat-roofed
rendered extension, used as butcher's store.
Listing NGR: SP3145603082
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings