This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9029 / 51°54'10"N
Longitude: -1.4026 / 1°24'9"W
OS Eastings: 441198
OS Northings: 222870
OS Grid: SP411228
Mapcode National: GBR 7VP.L71
Mapcode Global: VHBZJ.MFVM
Entry Name: Stable Block Adjoining Kiddington Hall to North East
Listing Date: 13 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1198546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252507
Location: Kiddington with Asterleigh, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Kiddington with Asterleigh
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wootton, Glympton and Kiddington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
KIDDINGTON WITH ASTERLEIGH KIDDINGTON
10/66 Stable block adjoining
Kiddington Hall to NE
Stable block, now partly flats. Circa 1850, by Charles Barry. Some late C20
alterations. Dressed limestone with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roofs. Square
courtyard plan, with the south front forming one side of the entrance court to
Kiddington Hall (q.v.). One storey and loft. South front: 2:3:1:3:2 bays, with
projecting wings and centre. Tooled plinth, end pilaster strips to wings, loft
cill band (forming impost band to centre) and deeply overhanging eaves.
Ground-floor small-paned 2-light wooden casements with plain stone architraves
in right-hand wing and 4-panelled half-glazed door in left-hand wing; low
recessed 2-light loft windows beneath eaves with chamfered lower reveals.
Central break has round carriage archway with impost bands, moulded architrave
to arch with raised keystdne, pair of large 3-panelled gates, and gable above
with scalloped barge-boards and pendant finial. Central square wooden clock
tower above consisting of clocy to each face with panelled spandrels, moulded
cornice, and lead-covered concave pavilion roof with louvred round-arched
dormers on each face, moulded cornice and ogee lead cap with globe finial and
weathervane. Interior of courtyard: plinth, carried up as plain architraves
around boarded doors with rectangular overlights; small-paned 2-light casements
with plain architraves. Round entrance arch to south with impost blocks and
keystone. Square stacks to side ranges with moulded cornices (possibly rebuilt).
Rear range forms coach house, incorporating 4 pairs of large boarded doors with
strap hinges. Continuous overhanging eaves supported by pierced curved cast-iron
brackets on stone corbels; eaves arched over carriage entrance, with scalloped
barge board and flanking paired brackets. East front of stable block altered in
late C20 with inserted windows, inserted door with porch and loft windows raised
to form dormers. Inserted dormers to courtyard and to rear too. Interiors
largely altered to form flats but some stabling remains in south-west part of
front range, with 2 stalls, cast-iron posts with globe finials, and beaded
flush-panelled doors. The stables are of an unusually severe design for 1850.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p670)
Listing NGR: SP4119822870
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings