This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0381 / 52°2'17"N
Longitude: -1.4495 / 1°26'58"W
OS Eastings: 437857
OS Northings: 237892
OS Grid: SP378378
Mapcode National: GBR 6RR.0D0
Mapcode Global: VHBYX.T1KC
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199016
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244091
Location: Swalcliffe, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Swalcliffe
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Swalcliffe
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SWALCLIFFE MAIN ROAD
7/80 Church of SS. Peter and
Church. C11. Chancel of ,Saxon Church incorporated in north and south arcades
of present nave. C12 north aisle rebuilt C14; C13 south aisle, south doorway
west tower. C14 chancel rebuilt c.1854; C15 clerestory and upper stages of
tower, porch rebuilt 1876. Church restored 1854-56, by R.C. Hussey. Coursed
regular ironstone rubble with stone and Welsh slate roof. Chancel: Geometrical
east window with hood mould; 2-and 3-light windows with Y-tracery to north and
south walls; 3-light geometrical window to south wall to right of 2-centred
doorway with hood mould and stops; blocked 2-centred doorway on north wall has
hood mould and stops; diagonal buttresses on north-west angle. South aisle:
geometrical east window; 4 triplets of lancets to south wall; 2-light lancet to
west wall; south doorway has 2 piers with stiff leaf decoration and 2 orders of
hollow chamfered roll moulding; blocked 2-centred doorway and arch with dog-
tooth ornament to right; moulded parapet. West tower of 4 stages has
crenellated parapet and rectangular staircase projection on south-west. 2-light
perpendicular windows to clerestory. Interior: Chancel has single piscina and
3 seat sedilia. Stone blind arcading c.1854 by R.C. Hussey. Nave: 2 small
round headed windows in north and south arcades belong to earlier Saxon Church.
Narrow north aisle has a 4-bay arcade of 3 round headed arches and round piers
with scalloped and waterleaf capitals. Wide south aisle: 4-bay arcade with
arches of 2 chamfered orders, octagonal piers and large projecting abacii. One
capital has trumpet-scallop decoration, the others have stiff leaf decoration;
the east bay of this arcade is wider with 3 shafts and moulded capitals and
probably occupies the south wall of a former chancel; piscina and blocked
priest's doorway to south wall. Fittings: Font probably C14 has capital
carried in octagonal column, bowl with band of roll moulding and C17 carving.
C17 wooden cover. Pulpit 1639. Reading desk made up from C17 panelling.
Chancel screen possibly late C15; strapwork cresting added C16/C17 now in south
aisle. Pews C17: 2 front pews dated 1637 and 1638. South door inscribed 1639.
Wall paintings: C14 to south aisle; C17 texts over earlier work to north aisle.
Monuments: north aisle a marble monument with armorial shields to Richard
Wykeham (d.1635); South aisle a stone memorial to John Hawten (d.1598) framed
by Corinthian columns and a coloured marble monument to John Duncombe
(d.1645/6) and his wife Elizabeth. There is a medieval chest tomb under a C14
double arched tomb recess in the south wall. C19 stained glass throughout.
(Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.795-6; V.C.H.: Vol.X, pp.251-2).
Listing NGR: SP3784637892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings