This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4941 / 51°29'38"N
Longitude: -2.142 / 2°8'31"W
OS Eastings: 390235
OS Northings: 177252
OS Grid: ST902772
Mapcode National: GBR 1QR.C83
Mapcode Global: VH964.TPGZ
Entry Name: Kington Manor
Listing Date: 29 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199164
English Heritage Legacy ID: 315940
Location: Kington St. Michael, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Kington St. Michael
Built-Up Area: Kington St Michael
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Kington St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
KINGTON ST MICHAEL KINGTON ST MICHAEL VILLAGE
ST 9077 (west side)
13/127 Kington Manor
Manor house, 1863 possibly by J.L. Pearson, for H. Prodgers,
incorporating some details from previous C16 manor-house of the
Snell family. Rubble stone with imitation slate roofs, coped
gables with finials and tall ashlar stacks. Two storeys and attic,
square plan, C16 style with mullion and transom windows and
hoodmoulds. Near symmetrical three-gabled south front with two
large ground floor bay windows, first floor 3-light, 3-light and 4-
light windows and attic 2-light, 2-light and 3-light windows.
Single storey service wing to east with east end bellcote.
Asymmetrical 3-gabled north front, the centre, reusing part of the
c1600 frontispiece of the previous house, projected slightly with
shouldered gable, the right gable with outside stack and large
first floor oriel on moulded ashlar base, the left gable with 3-
light windows to main floors and 2-light to attic. At north east
angle and octagonal full-height turret, the original tiled cap
replaced by battlements. Centrepiece has large C19 arch over door
with original carved spandrels, keystone, Doric pilasters, triglyph
frieze with ornamental cartouches and cornice. Above, a C19 5 x
3-light mullion window has original carved apron panel with Snell
family dragon crest and carved cartouches, set between decorated
pedestals of Ionic pilasters, also original, carrying entablature
with decorated frieze and moulded cornice. Standing putti on
pedestals above each side of large carved panel with bearded face
being crowned by ravens, with strapwork scrolls each side and small
ravens above. West side is irregular with chimney gable dated 1864
to right, shouldered centre gable with reused finial, and buttress
to left dividing two ground floor 3-light windows, eaves-breaking
dormer gable above. Manor House was built for Nicholas Snell died
1577, passed to Stokes family in 1651, was bought by Ayliffe White
in earlier C18 and owned by his descendants until 1856. Sold to H.
Prodgers 1862. The architect J.L. Pearson was consulted in 1862-3
but there is not conclusive evidence that he actually designed the
(J. Badeni Wiltshire Forefathers 1960 92-94, pl 8; Wilts. Arch.
Mag 4 1857 36ff; A. Quiney J.L. Pearson 1979 246)
Listing NGR: ST9023577252
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings