This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.453 / 53°27'10"N
Longitude: -2.7355 / 2°44'7"W
OS Eastings: 351254
OS Northings: 395390
OS Grid: SJ512953
Mapcode National: GBR 9XBH.KX
Mapcode Global: WH874.YGKQ
Entry Name: 16 Hardshaw Street
Listing Date: 23 August 1985
Last Amended: 25 October 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216370
Location: St. Helens, WA10
County: St. Helens
Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: St Helens
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: St Helens St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/10/2015
SJ 59 NW
HARDSHAW STREET (east side)
(Formerly listed as Former National Westminster Bank at corner of Claughton Street)
Former bank building, now public house. Circa 1860, extended and remodelled in 1878 with further alterations late C20. Ashlar stonework to north west front, red brick with ashlar dressings to north east front all below a Welsh slated roof north west elevation. Stone with slate roof 2 storeys, 10 bays; 4th bay projects. Drip mould over ground floor; 1st floor sill course; top cornice and parapet. Windows have cusped pointed heads and are sashed. Ground floor 3;1;2;2, windows with moulded jambs and foliated capitals. 1st floor 3;1;3;2;1, windows with aprons with quatrefoil panels, foliated imposts and spandrel. Main entrance to right of 4th bay has gabled porch; lintel on round piers with foliated capitals. Pointed relieving arch with sexfoil in tympanum. End bay has pointed entrance with moulded reveals, capitals and arch. Parapet has central gabled feature with arcading, rich carving and flanking round pinnacles. Basement area has parapet with trefoil piercing. North east front, 2 storeys, 7 bays, the 2 bays at the north west end of ashlar with ground floor windows to match those to the north west elevation. The remaining 5 brick bays have sash windows below cambered arched heads. The centre bay has a pointed arched doorway with a moulded ashlar surround.
Listing NGR: SJ5125495390
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings