This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3627 / 52°21'45"N
Longitude: 1.4638 / 1°27'49"E
OS Eastings: 635931
OS Northings: 279498
OS Grid: TM359794
Mapcode National: GBR XND.YQB
Mapcode Global: VHM6W.BW63
Entry Name: The Pines
Listing Date: 23 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199382
English Heritage Legacy ID: 282145
Location: Wissett, Waveney, Suffolk, IP19
Civil Parish: Wissett
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wissett St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 37 NE WISSETT RUMBURGH ROAD
5/71 The Pines
Farmhouse, formerly called Hill Farmhouse. Circa 1600, with a large extension
of 1908. Timber-framed and rendered; plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attics.
The original range has a 2-cell lobby-entrance form and is set sideways-on:
the internal chimney-stack has diagonally-set attached shafts on a square base
with recessed panel. 3 original windows in the north gable.-end: a 5-light
mullioned window to the attic, and a 4-light mullion-and-transome window with
projecting sill to both first and ground floors, all with ovolo-mouldings.
Good interior, with all framing and ceilings exposed; 5 bays. Ovolo-moulding
to main ground-floor beams; to the south of the stack, with very unusual stops
in the form of little faces like Red Indians. The chimney-stack had 4
hearths, one now blocked: to the north with a plain timber lintel, to the
south, with a flat brick arch and moulded jambs to ground and first floors.
Original newel stair by stack leads up to attic. The upper ceilings are
original: in the south room, curved stops with jewel and trench. Roof with
one row of unstepped butt-purlins and one row of clasped purlins, cambered
collars and windbraces. The house has several good original moulded plank
doors. A blocked doorway in the side wall of the north room implies that the
present range was added to a pre-existent structure.
Listing NGR: TM3536179765
Other nearby listed buildings