This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2243 / 52°13'27"N
Longitude: 1.1817 / 1°10'54"E
OS Eastings: 617409
OS Northings: 263228
OS Grid: TM174632
Mapcode National: GBR VM3.KL9
Mapcode Global: VHLB1.FCL5
Entry Name: 31-37, High Street
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 24 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199502
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281515
Location: Debenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Debenham
Built-Up Area: Debenham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Debenham St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
The following building:-
DEBENHAM HIGH STREET
TM 16 SE (east side)
6/91 Nos 31-37 (odd)
(formerly listed under
Church Row as 3 cottages
9.12.55 immediately S of house
called St Mary's)
shall be uppgraded to Grade II* (star).
DEBENHAM HIGH STREET (east side)
TM 16 SE
6/91 Nos.31-37 (odd)
( formerly listed under
9.12.55 Church Row as 3 cottages
immediately S. of house
called St. Mary's)
Originally one house, now 3. Mid C16 with slightly later wing to rear.
Timber framed. The front has exposed close studding with cranked reverse-
curved braces to upper floor. Roof plaintiled to front and pantiled to rear.
2 storeys and attic. Continuous jetty to street supported on brackets
springing from carved buttress-shafts. The bressummer has rope-pattern
carving. 3 3-light casement windows to upper floor, one with square-leaded
glass: these are in the same position as 3 original oriel windows whose deep
sills remain below. Between these windows, a single-light casement and a
window of c.1600 with ovolo mullions and carved sill. 2 projecting former
shop windows of c.1900, each with 12 panes to the front. To each side of the
right hand shop window, part of a further window of c.1600 with similarly-
carved sill. 2 central sash windows, one with panelled shutters. One plank
door, 2 panelled doors. To extreme left, boarded garage doors. Internal
stack with C19 shaft. Interior. Ground floor room in No.37 has a late C16
wall painting in monochrome showing winged mythical beasts; a circular panel
contains the red monogram of William and Mary Motts. Studs on the opposite
wall show traces of a similar design, with a further monogram on the cross-
beam above. Roof has queen-post trusses alternating with arch-braced collars,
the braces to the latter now missing. This roof was originally visible from
the first floor and its design suggests the building originally had some
public function. Interior of Nos. 31-33 (one house) not examined. For
illustration of wall painting, see Traditional Homes, February 1987, p.78.
Listing NGR: TM1740963228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings