This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8963 / 51°53'46"N
Longitude: -1.1548 / 1°9'17"W
OS Eastings: 458255
OS Northings: 222309
OS Grid: SP582223
Mapcode National: GBR 8XJ.2VQ
Mapcode Global: VHCX3.XLWN
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 3 January 1952
Last Amended: 20 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199889
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243505
Location: Bicester, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26
Civil Parish: Bicester
Built-Up Area: Bicester
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bicester with Caversfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BICESTER CHURCH STREET
SP5822S (South side)
3/31 The Old Vicarage
03/01/52 (Formerly listed as The
Vicarage, now house. c.1500, altered and extended probably C18 and 1882.
Limestone rubble, partly rendered, and coursed squared limestone with ashlar
dressings; part-old plain-tile roofs with brick and ashlar stacks. Hall house
with cross wing, enlarged to U-plan. 2 storeys and 2 storeys plus attics.
2-window front of rendered main range has C19 stone-mullioned windows at first
floor; C19 stone lean-to addition to ground floor has similar windows with
lattice glazing, and returns beside the short C19 stone wing which projects from
the left of the main range. Half-hipped front gable end of wing has stone
mullioned-and-transomed windows, and there is a 4-centre arched stone doorway in
the end of the lean-to and a parapetted canted bay window at first floor in the
angle of the ranges. Crosswing returns to an earlier random-rubble range, which
has five 2-light casements, facing left, each set into a stone surround of
c.1500 with wide casement mouldings and labels with deep drops; roof has a small
roof dormer. Rear of main range includes a large 2-storey C19 bay window.
Service range returning to rear from right end of main range is probably C18 and
is partly rendered over light framing. Interior: main range comprises a 3-bay
hall, now horizontally divided, but retaining a fine arch-braced collar-truss
roof, with cambered collars, and hollow-chamfered braces extending from the apex
of the arches down to shortened wallposts; rafters are pegged at the ridge and
the 2 rows of butt purlins are supported on heavy arched windbraces. 2-bay roof
of chamber at right end of main range has a similar structure, except that there
is a ridge piece and the central truss is of "scissor" type, formed from opposed
S-shaped braces. The chamber (or solar) contains a Tudor-arched fireplace with a
wooden bressumer, recessed spandrels, and hollow chamfering carried down the
ashlar jambs. The room below has a ceiling with intersecting moulded V-section
beams and very wide hollow-chamfered joists (the plaster boss is probably C19),
and it has 2 Tudor-arched wooden doorways (one blocked), with recessed
spandrels, one doorway retaining an ancient plank door with original
ironmongery. The cross wing has C17/early-C18 and C19 roof structures but
retains a fragment of an earlier roof with a diagonally-set ridge piece. The
present through-passage from the front door, now opening into a C19 stair hall,
is probably on the site of a screens passage. The hall roof is unblackened and a
wide Tudor-arched moulded bressumer, now re-set on its side in a chimneybreast
below the chamber, may be from the missing hall fireplace, possibly on the site
of the present bay window.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VI, p.17; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.455).
Listing NGR: SP5825522309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings