This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8514 / 53°51'5"N
Longitude: -1.8413 / 1°50'28"W
OS Eastings: 410539
OS Northings: 439474
OS Grid: SE105394
Mapcode National: GBR HRLX.53
Mapcode Global: WHC91.PGD9
Plus Code: 9C5WV525+HF
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 9 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 338005
Location: Bingley, Bradford, BD16
Civil Parish: Bingley
Built-Up Area: Bingley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bingley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE1039SE BINGLEY OLD MAIN STREET
9/152 Church of All Saints
Church. Late C15 with C19 additions and alterations, restored
C 1871. Large coursed gritstone, hammer-dressed stone to C19
work, stone slate roofs. Chancel with aisles, nave with
clerestory and aisles, south porch and west tower. Perpendicular
and Decorated style. Late C15 embattled tower with offset
diagonal buttresses, clock and sundial. Pointed-arched west door
set in base of tower with 3-light traceried window above and
2-light window below. Top stage, C19 with 2-light belfry openings.
Buttresses rise into crockets. 4-bay nave with 2-light windows
to aisle much renewed C19. 3-light clerestorey windows. Gabled
porch set in 1st bay of aisle. Lower and narrower chancel with
lean-to 2-bay south aisle with 3-light windows. Set in return
wall of aisle is 5-light late C14 window with panel tracery.
5-light East window with panel tracery. The "Ferrand Pew"
added to north aisle cl831 in Gothic Revival style with embattled
parapet and 2 octagonal chimneys. Interior: 5-bay Perpendicular
arcades with slender octagonal piers. Wide pointed chancel arch.
2-bay arcades open to the chancel chapels. Good king-post roof.
Furnishings: Chancel enclosed by elaborately carved oak screen
c1898. Carved pulpit in Perpendicular style. Pew in north aisle
chapel dated 1681 and finely carved. Re-pewed c1899 when chancel
floor was relaid with black and white marble. The chief object of
interest is the pre-Conquest font, or cross pedestal within which
is a Saxon stone. The side of the font is inscribed with 3 lines
of Runes of uncertain meaning.
Stained glass: East window by Henry Holiday c1890; north chancel
chapel window by Burne Jones for Morris and Co. c1873.
Monuments: several good monuments including one by Fisher of York,
one by J. Gott c1835, another by Behnes c1848 and one to Benjamin
Ferrands of St. Ives (q.v.), c1830.
A church adding much to the townscape of the old village centre of
Listing NGR: SE1053939474
Other nearby listed buildings