History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former City Lending Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Leicester, City of Leicester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6321 / 52°37'55"N

Longitude: -1.1324 / 1°7'56"W

OS Eastings: 458819

OS Northings: 304168

OS Grid: SK588041

Mapcode National: GBR FGL.ZB

Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.L30H

Entry Name: Former City Lending Library

Listing Date: 5 January 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1200474

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188578

Location: Leicester, LE1

County: City of Leicester

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Leicester

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Leicester Holy Trinity with St John the Divine

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Leicester

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/05/2018

SK 5804 SE
3/14

BELVOIR STREET (South Side)
Adult Education College
Nos 50, 52 and No 54, (Former City Lending Library)

(Formerly listed as Nos 50 and 52 (City Lending Library), No 54, (City Lending Library) BELVOIR STREET)

5.1.50

GV
II
Built in 1831 as meeting hall for Liberals. Architect William Flint. Plain classical facade in stucco divided into three by giant Doric pilasters in pairs. Parapet, wide frieze and moulded cornice. Central double door in projecting rectangular case with plain frieze, dentil cornice and central acroterion ornament. Two windows in shouldered moulded architraves with small cornices, flanking entrance. Over each is a moulded rectangular stucco panel with reliefs by William Pitts. Including cast-iron area railings of simple design. Formerly a dispensary. Nos 50 and 52 adjoining left-mid C19, curved front, stucco, modillion cornice, parapet, two storeys, four windows, sashes with glazing bars, segmental pediments on console brackets. Between centre windows a shelf on decorated console brackets with stucco torch above, flanking centre windows cartouches, ground floor large display windows with fascia and cornice.

Hansom Hall and Nos 50, 52 and 54 (Former City Lending Library) form a group.

Listing NGR: SK5881904167

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.