This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3469 / 51°20'48"N
Longitude: -2.2473 / 2°14'50"W
OS Eastings: 382870
OS Northings: 160899
OS Grid: ST828608
Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.GNB
Mapcode Global: VH96W.0D8T
Entry Name: The Hall
Listing Date: 18 April 1952
Last Amended: 23 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200529
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312565
Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon
Built-Up Area: Bradford on Avon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
1. HOLT ROAD
5411 (South Side)
(Formerly listed in
ST 8260 2/65 18.4.52.
Built by John Hall, a clothier, about 1610. South front almost entirely
renewed about 1850, but many fragments of the original architectural details
survive in the grounds. There are 2 main elevations, facing south and
west. These facades are in ashlar, the other fronts in coursed rubble.
Stone-tiled roofs. South elevation.2 storeys and basement plus attics
in 3 gables. Attic windows are 3-light leaded casements with moulded
stone mullions and dripmoulds, and each gable is capped by a spear-head
finial. The facade is divided into 3 units by 3 2-storey bays; the central
one is square and includes doorway and porch on ground floor. The side
bays are also square, but with the addition of a semi-circular bow. Leaded
casement windows with moulded stone mullions and double transoms occupy
the whole width of the facade. Over each bay and between the gables is
an elaborate strapwork parapet, heavily enriched and with spear-head finials
at intervals. The porch doorway has a semi-circular head with enriched
imposts and keystone carved in the form of a grotesque creature. Flanking
the doorway are fluted and reeded Roman Doric columns on deep pedestals.
Egg and dart, floriated and other enrichments. Above the moulded cornice
is a double scroll pediment with 3 fleur-de-lys finials. The spandrels
and architrave soffit are enriched with carved strapwork motifs and the
egg-and-dart ornament is repeated around the arch extrados. The porch
inner doorway has a square-head, architrave surround and panelled door.
Plaster ceiling in porch with centre panel, 4 coronetted female heads,
grapes and scroll work. The facade is divided by moulded strings at window-head
levels and by heavier moulded strings at lst floor and attic floor levels.
These strings are carried round the side elevations. Both end elevations
have 2 gables with attics and 4 windows, 3-light leaded casements with
moulded stone mullions and double transoms. The western elevation has
a central doorway with semi-circular head, keystone and imposts, flanked
by Tuscan pilasters on deep pedestals, with flat entablature over. All
windows in east elevation have semi-circular flush relieving arches; no
doorway. The rear elevation has 3 gables and the fenestration is irregular.
To right and left is a projecting wing carried through all storeys.
Windows are casements, with moulded stone mullions and dripmoulds, some
3-light, some 2-light, some with transoms. On ground-floor in centre
are twin porch entrances of later date.
The Hall forms a group with its terraces, walls, gatepiers, balustrades,
2 garden seats and wall around the grounds.
Listing NGR: ST8287060899
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings