This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6324 / 52°37'56"N
Longitude: -1.1412 / 1°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 458222
OS Northings: 304190
OS Grid: SK582041
Mapcode National: GBR FFL.17
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.F3T9
Entry Name: Former County Court and remains of castle
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Last Amended: 14 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188600
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Mary de Castro
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/05/2018
SK 5804 SW
Former County Court and remains of Castle
(Formerly listed as County Court (including remains of Castle) CASTLE YARD)
The front of circa 1695 a pleasing red brick single storey and attic range, early stone plinth, seven windows, centre breaking forward with two, and double entrance door under a Venetian window, in which the centre has 'Gothic' glazing bars. Remaining windows have flat arches of brick with modern tall two-light mullion/transom casements in heavy moulded frames. Central segmental headed doorway with fanlight and panelled doors. Good heavy modillion eaves cornice and open modillion pediment over centre. Band at sills. Two pedimented dormers. End elevation has large C18 round-arch window with intersecting glazing bars.
Built on site of castle of which the C11 or C12 Great Hall has been converted to modern Assize Court. Although much altered it was originally aisled, 84 ft by 58 ft and said to be the oldest surviving aisled and bay-divided hall in Europe. The roof is possibly C14. Original dungeons. C19 alterations. Mid/late C19 addition at rear. The Great Hall and Dungeons are a Scheduled Monument.
All the listed buildings in Castle Street, Castle View and Castle Yard together with Skeffington House, the Iron Gates, Chantry House and Newarke Wall all in The Newarke form a group.
Listing NGR: SK5822204190
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings