This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1602 / 51°9'36"N
Longitude: -2.1882 / 2°11'17"W
OS Eastings: 386937
OS Northings: 140123
OS Grid: ST869401
Mapcode National: GBR 1VR.5LM
Mapcode Global: VH97W.131D
Entry Name: Chantry Cottage with Attached Farmbuildings
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Last Amended: 1 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313415
Location: Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Longbridge Deverill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL HILL DEVERILL
ST 84 SE
3/194 Chantry Cottage with
11.9.68 attached farmbuildings
(Formerly listed as
outbuildings at Manor
Cottage with attached farmbuildings, enclosing two sides of a courtyard to south of
Manor House (g.v.). Late C16 and C17 cottage, late C17 and C18 farmbuildings.
Cottage is rubble stone, with flint and limestone chequers to west porch, thatched
hipped roof, C20 stone stack. 'T'-plan. Two storey, 2 windowed; casements. Two
storey west porch has large stone Tudor-arched doorway with moulded jambs, broken
tablet with heraldic arms of Ludlow family over, 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned
casement with moulded hoodmould to first floor, C20 niche over, returns of porch have
small square-headed lights. Range to right has one 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned
casement with hoodmould to ground floor and 2-light ovolo-mullioned casement to first
floor. Right return has C20 three-light and 4-light mullioned casements. Rear has
C20 mullioned casements.
Interior has deeply chamfered beams, first floor has reset narrow chamfered pointed
doorway, formerly opening to first floor of porch. Attached to rear is 15-bay south
range of shelter sheds with central 3-bay pigeon house with dressed stone walls and
higher roof with coped verges, interior lined with pigeon holes. Attached to
north-west angle of cottage is west range of shelter sheds and stables with brick and
rubble stone walls, thatched roof. Collar and tie beam roof trusses. Part of a good,
little altered group associated with an important manor, formerly a moated site.
Cottage probably an outbuilding of the late Medieval Manor House.
Listing NGR: ST8693740123
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings