This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1089 / 54°6'32"N
Longitude: -3.2194 / 3°13'9"W
OS Eastings: 320376
OS Northings: 468805
OS Grid: SD203688
Mapcode National: GBR 5NYX.TT
Mapcode Global: WH72H.JZ5D
Entry Name: St Georges Church of England Primary School
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388593
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St George
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD2068NW SCHOOL STREET
708-1/14/133 (North East side)
06/05/76 St George's Church of England
(Formerly Listed as:
St George's School)
School. 1849. For the Furness Railway Company. Red sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings, graduated slate roof. Single
storey, 3:3:1:1 bays; bays 1-3 and bay 7 are projecting
gables, entrance in right return; gabled wing to rear.
Rock-faced quoins. Central recess has 3 square-headed windows
with later casements; blind 3-light mullioned window in
half-dormer. Left gable has projecting sills and quoined
reveals to 3 pointed-arched windows with later casements, the
central window larger; shaped kneelers and moulded gable
copings. Narrower right gable has Tudor-arched window,
matching kneelers and copings and trefoil in corbelled base
for a bell turret. Tudor-arched window to end bay on right.
Right return: altered doorway has concrete lintel beneath
original Tudor-arch; coped gable with terracotta cross. Link
block set back on right adjoins No.2 Salthouse Road (qv).
Built for Furness Railway employees' children. Formed part of
the nucleus of the new town based on the railway terminus in
St George's Square.
Listing NGR: SD2037668805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings