This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5415 / 54°32'29"N
Longitude: -1.9242 / 1°55'27"W
OS Eastings: 405000
OS Northings: 516245
OS Grid: NZ050162
Mapcode National: GBR HH0X.6S
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.D3YS
Entry Name: Douglas House
Listing Date: 22 February 1973
Last Amended: 28 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388820
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ0516SW THE BANK
770-1/6/191 (West side)
22/02/73 Nos.23 AND 25
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.1-17, 23-29 (Odd)
and The Old Well)
Inn, later 2 flats and public house, now shop and flat. Mid
C18 with early and late C19 shop fronts, the earlier at left
ex-situ. Irregular courses of squared stone with ashlar
dressings; roof of stone slates with stone gable copings.
Salvaged materials of various dates throughout.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 4-window range. Tooled stone surround to
ex-situ 6-panel door and overlight with radiating glazing bars
in second bay. Inserted left shop front: Regency with
entablature on slender pilasters framing 3x3 panes to front
and 3 on right return to recessed door; grid ventilator in
stall riser has glass blocking. Right shop front late C19 with
slender panelled pilasters and elliptical heads to central
half-glazed door and flanking 2-light windows; full-width
entablature. 16-pane sashes on upper floors, most renewed, and
2-light renewed casement at top left, have tooled flat stone
lintels and projecting stone sills. Second-floor windows
almost square. Low-pitched roof has end chimneys.
Rear shows small inserted 2-light window with C16-type
segmental stone heads; Gothic-style glazing bars to stair
window between first and second floors.
INTERIOR: inserted ground floor ceiling at right, 2 spine
beams at left plastered over and with added cornice. Stair
first flight has winders, upper flights dogleg, with narrow
handrail on re-set stick balusters and turned newels. First
floor has c1800 shutters to windows; inserted C18 chimneypiece
with bolection frieze, dentilled cornice and Delft tiles.
Second floor has architraves to windows; 3-panel door re-sited
from attic of right part of house. Roof has halved pegged
trusses with 2 levels of purlins.
Owner reports deeds say building was an inn in 1697; that
there was a blacksmith in the rear in 1700, with vehicle
entrance uphill in right part of the frontage, and that the
building remained a public house until c1920 with 2 houses
above. The shop front to left of facade was salvaged from a
shop at the corner of Milburn Steet and Hylton Road in the
Millfield area of Sunderland; the door and overlight next to
it came from Haggerston, Northumberland. Gazebo in rear yard
constructed from salvaged materials including small stone
Listing NGR: NZ0500016247
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings