This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5335 / 53°32'0"N
Longitude: -2.1288 / 2°7'43"W
OS Eastings: 391561
OS Northings: 404104
OS Grid: SD915041
Mapcode National: GBR FWKL.X1
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.8FKZ
Entry Name: Werneth Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388953
Location: Oldham, OL8
Electoral Ward/Division: Werneth
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Werneth St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/07/2016
WERNETH HALL ROAD (North West side)
No. 148, Werneth Hall
(Formerly listed as Werneth Hall, WERNETH HALL ROAD)
House, now residential home. Original buildings C17 or earlier, extensively altered. Coursed and squared sandstone with stone flagged and Welsh slate roofs. 2-storeyed, 2 parallel gabled wings now linked by new (1990-1) main range, replacing a smaller cottage, itself perhaps on the site of an original hall range. Earliest surviving building probably the south-west wing. Two storeys over cellar, but with internal changes of level. Coped gables each side. 3-tier 5-light mullioned and transomed window to ground floor with hood mould, and similar 2-tier window above, both with some renewal to mullions. Similar windows in opposite gable to rear. Two added gables against the return of this wing to Frederick Street: left-hand gable probably late C18. Also coursed rubble, with angle quoins. Main entrance to right in moulded architrave, with inserted French window to left. Narrower wing to right added in later C19, with renewed 2-light casement window on each floor, and projecting side wall gathered chimney. North-east wing has not always been in full domestic use. 5-light mullioned and transomed window on each floor in gable facing Werneth Hall Road, with doorway to left. Present roof runs parallel to street, and is probably the result of earlier alterations reducing the height of the gable. Inserted windows in side return and opposite gable end, with former pitching eye still visible towards apex.
INTERIOR: fragmentary remains of original building survive in the south-west wing, including a wide voussoir arched fireplace in the north-west ground floor room. Internal cross wall timber-framed at least at attic level, with square panels with wattling. Queen post and strut roof truss with collar.
Listing NGR: SD9156104104
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings