This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1443 / 54°8'39"N
Longitude: -0.7789 / 0°46'43"W
OS Eastings: 479864
OS Northings: 472744
OS Grid: SE798727
Mapcode National: GBR RN0J.54
Mapcode Global: WHFBH.03D6
Entry Name: Hunters Hall
Listing Date: 29 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201919
English Heritage Legacy ID: 389543
Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Malton
Built-Up Area: Malton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Old Malton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
SE7872 TOWN STREET, Old Malton
801-1/6/222 (West side)
Formerly known as: No.63 Hunter's Hall TOWN STREET.
House. Late C17 in origin; C18 and early C19 extensions at
rear; partly rebuilt and extended further in late C19; C20
modernisation. Early part of coursed squared stone with
irregular quoins, rendered and white-washed on right return;
extensions of red brick and pink and cream mottled brick, in
English garden-wall bond. Ashlar window surrounds and timber
eaves cornice on main front. Pantile roof with stone slate
verge at front, and coped gables with shaped kneelers. Gable
end stacks of red brick, rebuilt with dentil cornice tops in
2-storey 6-window main front, with lower 2-storey 2-window
wing set back at left. Main front has left-of-centre entrance,
approached by 2 moulded stone steps, with recessed double
doors of raised and fielded panels in eared fasciated
architrave. Vestiges of a C17 lintel are visible above. All
windows are late C20 two-light casements with square lattice
glazing, in eared fasciated architraves with stone sills.
Moulded cornice beneath overhanging eaves on heavy shaped
brackets. Wing to left has similar windows, without
architraves, beneath flat arches of voussoirs.
Rear: gable wall of C18 extension to left has no openings.
Early C19 gable has altered fenestration, but two 16-pane
sashes with stone sills and cambered arches are retained on
first floor. Later extension further right has large-pane
glazing. Left return: 6-panel door with 2 glazed lights to
left of centre. Traces of original windows are visible at
cellar level in the right part.
INTERIOR: former list description records "fine oak staircase
with turned balusters and handrail. The stone wing has a large
fireplace, probably from the Priory..".
Listing NGR: SE7986372739
Other nearby listed buildings