This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4536 / 51°27'12"N
Longitude: -2.5965 / 2°35'47"W
OS Eastings: 358649
OS Northings: 172902
OS Grid: ST586729
Mapcode National: GBR C7K.RS
Mapcode Global: VH88M.YQ6K
Entry Name: Abbey Chambers
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202084
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379187
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5872NE CLARE STREET, Centre
901-1/16/540 (South East side)
04/03/77 Nos.4, 6 AND 8
Includes: Nos.1, 3 AND 5 BALDWIN STREET Centre.
Bank, now offices. 1883. By Frederick Mew, reportedly
completed 1897 by RM Drake. Altered 1924 by Benjamin
Wakefield. Limestone ashlar, carboniferous limestone doorways,
brick and limestone cross-axial stacks, roof not visible.
Double-depth plan to a 2-sided wedge-shaped site. Eclectic
Italian Renaissance Revival style. 3 storeys and attic;
8-window range. A heavily decorated front and similar rear
elevation to Baldwin Street. Pedimented 5-window section set
forward with a 3-window left-hand section, divided by square
pilasters through a ground-floor fascia and cornice to a
modillion cornice. Pilasters are banded on the ground floor to
fluted necks and acanthus capitals, and paired fascia
consoles; plain above to small segmental pediments over lion
heads, fluted necks and carved head consoles beneath the
A large ornate doorway has deep fluted consoles to a 3-centre
arch, adorsal Assyrian sphinxes above flank a swan's neck
pediment, and brackets each side to a fluted frieze and
pediment formed from the cornice, with acroteria; small
pedimented name panels on the jambs. C20 shop fronts each
side; the left-hand section has distyle-in-antis pilasters
decorated as the end ones.
Upper floors articulated by attached Corinthian columns to the
right and pilasters to the left, with fluted necks.
First-floor windows have pilaster jambs and entablature
lintels, console pilasters to pediments over the 3 above the
doorway, and to the middle of the wing; second floor has
pilaster jambs; C20 plate-glass windows. The frieze has small
sunken roundels set in wreaths, and acroteria to the shallow
pediment, with a low parapet behind and a central stack topped
by a segmental pediment.
The rear elevation is a 7-window range, with carboniferous
limestone doorways at each end and plate-glass shop fronts.
The doorways have banded, ovolo surrounds, consoles to shallow
pediments and rectangular lights above; upper floors
articulated as the Clare Street centre, the first floor has
alternate narrow windows with pilaster jambs, and pedimented
ones as Clare Street, with second-floor pilaster jambs and
wreaths to the entablature, which is dated 1855, 1883 and
1925. Balustrade over windows. INTERIOR: refurbished 1992.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 839).
Listing NGR: ST5864972902
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.