This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.454 / 51°27'14"N
Longitude: -2.5931 / 2°35'35"W
OS Eastings: 358887
OS Northings: 172951
OS Grid: ST588729
Mapcode National: GBR C8K.HM
Mapcode Global: VH88N.0QH6
Plus Code: 9C3VFC34+JQ
Entry Name: The Market
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379769
Location: Central, Bristol, BS1
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5872NE HIGH STREET, Centre
901-1/16/591 (West side)
08/01/59 The Market
Market. Entrance 1744-45, by Samuel Glascodine; covered
extension 1848-49 by RS Pope, renovated 1883. Limestone
ashlar, with glazed roof over nave of market. Axial plan with
C19 open plan aisled extension to S facing St Nicholas Street.
Mid Georgian style.
Entrance from High Street: 2 storeys; 3-window range. A
symmetrical front and matching rear, with a central pedimented
section set forward containing a semicircular-arched
carriageway, impost band, plat band and first-floor sill band,
cornice and parapet. Small semicircular-arched doorways each
side, with C20 glazing, beneath a Venetian window with Doric
pilasters, architraves to 6-pane windows each side, and a
well-carved City shield in the tympanum; 2-bay groin-vaulted
passage through to the market with octagonal Portland bollards
flanking the arch.
INTERIOR: 2 sections of covered arcade, the Glass and West
Arcades, the N walls formed by The Rummer Public House (qv)
and the Exchange (qv); the S walls have ground-floor arcades
of semicircular arches with impost band, of 8 windows to the E
with blank arcade above containing 6/6-pane sashes, with a
right-hand 2-window return. This has C18 shop front with 2
restored bow windows and paired semicircular-arched doorways,
beneath wrought-iron canopy and brackets. The W side has 9
arches, matching first-floor arcade with a plain inner arch
and cornice. Glazed C19 roof has iron trusses with decorative
curves and brackets. Each side is lined with single-storey
timber stalls with pilaster strips to a cornice and parapet,
with folding doors.
C19 South Arcade extension to the S to St Nicholas Street is a
single storey; 7-window range. Trapezium-shaped with curved
corners, impost band, cornice and parapet raised to the
middle, and semicircular-arched openings with keyed moulded
archivolts; St Nicholas Street front has a tall central
entrance with iron gates, windows each side, and 2 lunettes at
each end. Matching 7-window right return and 4-window left
return. INTERIOR: square piers to a C20 steel-trussed roof,
and wooden stalls. Built following the completion of Wood's
Exchange (qv); only the archway is certainly of the original
design. Stall numbers are consecutive: Glass Arcade Nos 1, 5,
8, 17 & 20-50; South Arcade Nos 1-22; West Arcade Nos 1-16.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 148; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 420;
Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 106).
Listing NGR: ST5888772951
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings