This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4518 / 51°27'6"N
Longitude: -2.5955 / 2°35'43"W
OS Eastings: 358714
OS Northings: 172705
OS Grid: ST587727
Mapcode National: GBR C7L.YD
Mapcode Global: VH88M.YRQX
Plus Code: 9C3VFC23+PQ
Entry Name: Merchant Venturer's Almshouses
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202333
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379881
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5872NE KING STREET, Centre
901-1/16/595 (North side)
08/01/59 Merchant Venturers' Almshouses,
Almshouses. Dated 1696. Half destroyed by bombing c1940.
Render over Pennant rubble, C20 brick end-gable, brick lateral
and ridge stacks and pantile hipped roof. Double-depth plan to
2 1/2 sides of a formerly 4-sided courtyard. Early Georgian
style. 2 storeys; 5:8:1-window ranges. The W and half the N
ranges have gone, leaving a C20 brick gable to the end of the
5-window N range, and hipped roof to the originally-open S
range, with a thin drip course and timber modillion eaves
cornice. The long range has a central and 2 corner doorways, a
right-hand doorway to the S range, and third from left on the
N range, with scrolled brackets carved with leaves to open
pediment hoods, half over the corner doorways, and
timber-frames with boarded doors. Mid C20 casement windows
with top-hung casements above transoms, in flush frames.
Oculus over the central doorway. The road front is rubble with
quoins, 4 windows with thin rubble voussoirs to flat heads,
dated panel, and a good carved heraldic panel with merman and
merwoman flanking a shield. Tall rear N lateral stacks, and
ridge stacks separating houses to E and S sides. INTERIOR:
largely refurbished mid C20, dogleg stair in the entrance
hall. HISTORICAL NOTE: founded by the Merchant Venturers'
Society, for seamen, as attested by the board painted with a
poem to their virtues on the N side. Formerly an enclosed
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 90; The Buildings of England: Pevsner
N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 434).
Listing NGR: ST5883672707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings