This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4768 / 51°28'36"N
Longitude: -2.6355 / 2°38'7"W
OS Eastings: 355957
OS Northings: 175506
OS Grid: ST559755
Mapcode National: GBR JN.LCR1
Mapcode Global: VH88M.84KQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202371
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379982
Location: Bristol, BS9
Electoral Ward/Division: Stoke Bishop
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Stoke Bishop
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST57NE MARINERS DRIVE, Sneyd Park
901-1/53/1808 (West side)
04/03/77 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Church. 1860. By John Norton. Steeple 1872, S chapel 1883.
Snecked Pennant rubble with red sandstone banding, limestone
dressings and tile roof. Aisled nave, N transept, S chapel,
apsidal chancel and SW tower. Early Pointed Gothic Revival
The apse has trefoil lancets and linked, stilted hoods and a
red ashlar sill band rising round the arch, between
buttresses; a low N vestry with 3 lancets, organ chamber with
trefoil-headed door and eaves stack, and 2 lancets and a
shouldered arch door to the S chapel. 2-light plate tracery
window to the organ chamber N gable, and a pierced rose window
to the adjoining N transept gable; 6-bay N aisle, each with
plate tracery 2-light windows between buttresses, and 7-bay
clerestory of paired lancets.
The tall S chapel gable has clasping buttresses and 3 tall
lancets below a round window with a quatrefoil forming a
cross; S aisle and clerestory as the N elevation; 4-stage
gabled tower divided by red bands with wide clasping
buttresses to just below the top; S door has a moulded,
shouldered arch and triptych of the Crucifixion in the
tympanum, within an arch of 2 orders on marble shafts; inside
is a porch and doorway with 2 orders separated by dogtooth,
and rear arches to the windows; narrow lancets to the second
and third stages, paired belfry lancets of 2 orders with
shafts separated by dogtooth moulding, and clocks to the
gables; stiff leaf cornice has gargoyles at the corners below
tall, crocketed, octagonal pinnacles with corner shafts, and a
steep tiled spire.
A narthex projects at the W end with an arcade of trefoil
arches with animal head stops and parapet of trefoil panels,
and doors at the ends with stiff leaf capitals; deep angle
buttresses frame a plate tracery window of 2 paired lancets
within pointed arches and an octofoil; below the apex is a
blind arcade of 5 trefoil-headed arches with a central narrow
light; single lancets to the aisles.
INTERIOR: painted roof with detached shafts, with a stencil
round the base of the chancel roof; reredos of a central
arched niche with figures from the Last Supper and flanking
trefoil arcades containing 3 similar sedilia and 3 arched
niches to the N; windows have trefoil-headed rere arches with
foliate capitals and banded shafts painted black, and triple
vault shafts in the angles to a 3-bay arch-braced roof; 2
arches to the S have marble shafts and moulded capitals, and
corbels with 3 shafts to the roof.
S Chapel with arch-braced collars, chamfered and stopped. Tall
chancel arch with the inner of 2 orders born on foliate
corbels, and a marble dwarf wall at its base; 5-bay nave
arcade has 4 attached shafts to piers with deeply carved
foliate capitals and canopied hood stops to the N side, and W
responds on head and shoulder figure corbels; between the
clerestory windows are deep, moulded corbels with shafts to
the roof; 2-light rear arches to the aisle windows, and of 2
orders to the W window.
FITTINGS: Probably an original set include a brass altar rail,
choir stalls and pews, octgonal pulpit with brass hand rail, a
brass eagle lecturn and an octagonal font on marble shafts; an
open Perpendicular screen to the Chapel, which has an altar
screen with angels to octagonal shafts.
Shown without the tower in Winstone.
(Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 20;
The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 473; Bristol As It Was: Winstone R:
1879-74: Bristol: 1967-: 90, 91).
Listing NGR: ST5595775506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings