History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Phoenix House and Attached Railings and Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Bristol, Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4503 / 51°27'1"N

Longitude: -2.5961 / 2°35'45"W

OS Eastings: 358674

OS Northings: 172537

OS Grid: ST586725

Mapcode National: GBR C7L.TY

Mapcode Global: VH88M.YTF2

Plus Code: 9C3VFC23+4H

Entry Name: Phoenix House and Attached Railings and Piers

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202472

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380257

Location: Central, Bristol, BS1

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in



901-1/16/209 (West side)
08/01/59 No.51
Phoenix House and attached railings
and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
(West side)
Nos.46-55 (Consecutive))


Attached house. c1833. Perhaps by Henry Rumley. Limestone
ashlar, party wall stacks and pantile roof. Double-depth plan.
Neoclassical style.
3 storeys, basement and attic; 3-window range. A symmetrical
front has a banded ground floor, first-floor panelled
pilasters with anthemion capitals to frieze, cornice and
parapet. The centre breaks forward with a bowed open portico
on Roman Doric columns to an entablature, chamfered door
surround to a 6-panel door, and PHOENIX HOUSE inscribed on a
panel above. Pedimented lintels with acroteria and wreaths to
the middle first-floor window, to 6/6-pane sashes. A large
carved Phoenix to the centre of the parapet.
INTERIOR: central hall with an elliptical arch to a lateral
open dogleg stair with turned balusters, wreathed and ramped
rail with a star inlaid in the wreath; good marble fireplaces
to ground and first-floor rooms, basement range fire surround;
cornices with anthemia and guilloche; 6-panel doors and
panelled shutters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area railings with
anthemia finials, and piers.
Queen Square was built between 1701 and 1727. Much of the W
side was rebuilt after the Reform Bill riot of 1831.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 228; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings
of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 140).

Listing NGR: ST5867472537

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.