This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4482 / 51°26'53"N
Longitude: -2.5932 / 2°35'35"W
OS Eastings: 358875
OS Northings: 172296
OS Grid: ST588722
Mapcode National: GBR C8M.HQ
Mapcode Global: VH88N.0VGQ
Plus Code: 9C3VCCX4+7P
Entry Name: Numbers 3-13 and Attached Front Area Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202489
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380312
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: St Mary Redcliffe with Temple, Bristol and St John the Baptist, Bedminster
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
REDCLIFFE PARADE WEST (South side),
Nos.3-13 (Consecutive) and attached front area railings and gates
(Formerly Listed as:
REDCLIFF PARADE (WEST)
Terrace of 11 houses, Nos 3-8 now one office. 1768-71. Stucco
with limestone dressings, brick party wall stacks, slate and
pantile mansard and hipped roofs. Double-depth plan. Mid
Each of 3 storeys, basement and attic; 3-window range.
Pilasters to a moulded parapet coping, coped gables and party
walls. Nos 4-7 have left-hand doorways, the rest on the right,
tall with architraves and consoles to cornices, some good
rectangular fanlights, and 6-panel doors. Steps down to a
basement dooorway. Plain keyed architraves to some 8/8-pane
sashes, the rest plate glass. C19 hipped dormers and large C20
4-light casement dormers. Nos 3-8 form one office, and the
doorways of Nos 5-7 have been made into windows. The entrance
to No.3 in the left return is blocked. The entrance to No.13
in the right return has steps to a C19 tented porch and a
semicircular-arched doorway; to the left is a full-height
canted ashlar bay with plat bands and a crenellated parapet,
and 6/6-pane sashes flanked by 4/4-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: entrance hall with wainscot, divided by a
semicircular arch with panelled soffit; a rear dogleg winder
stair with column-on-vase balusters, column newels and a
toadback rail, with a curved bay for the return with 2 niches;
the upper flights have an uncut string; 6-panel doors and
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wrought-iron front area railings and
gates have urn finials. HISTORICAL NOTE: Planned as half of a
pair of matching terraces, the eastern half was abandoned
after 2 houses, and completed to a different design. Painted
by Samuel Jackson 1825.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 216; The Bristol Landscape - The
Watercolours of Samuel Jackson: Bristol: 1986-: 18).
Listing NGR: ST5887572296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings