This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4668 / 51°28'0"N
Longitude: -2.5647 / 2°33'52"W
OS Eastings: 360869
OS Northings: 174358
OS Grid: ST608743
Mapcode National: GBR CGF.V0
Mapcode Global: VH88N.HDHC
Plus Code: 9C3VFC8P+P4
Entry Name: Former Church of St Mark
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380434
Location: Easton, Bristol, BS5
Electoral Ward/Division: Easton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Eastville St Anne with St Mark and St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST6074 ST MARK'S ROAD, Easton
901-1/37/1242 (East side)
01/11/66 Former Church of St Mark
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARK'S ROAD
Church of St Mark)
Church, now flats. 1848. By Charles Dyer. Converted 1991.
Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and ashlar spire, and
a slate roof. Apsidal nave with a N tower. Norman Revival
Rounded apse has 6 semicircular-arched windows on attached
columns, linked by a sill band. 5-bay N elevation has c1990
flat-headed ground floor windows with zigzag patterned
lintels, and round-arched first-floor windows, with scalloped
capitals and slender colonnettes, separated by buttresses;
3-stage tower one bay from the W has angle buttresses and N
round-arched door similar to the first-floor windows; lancet
belfry windows formed by interlacing arcade of round arches
with chevron archivolts and colonnettes, beneath a stepped
ashlar pyramid roof with mythical animals on the ridges.
Similar 5-bay S elevation. The W end has a round-arched
doorway with chevron-moulded archivolt within a weathered,
projecting porch, below a large wheel window with 10 spokes to
a central round light; Celtic crosses at either end of the
nave. INTERIOR not inspected.
(Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 20;
Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 296).
Listing NGR: ST6086974358
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings