History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cross Keys Public House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Malton, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1362 / 54°8'10"N

Longitude: -0.7977 / 0°47'51"W

OS Eastings: 478649

OS Northings: 471818

OS Grid: SE786718

Mapcode National: GBR QNWM.31

Mapcode Global: WHFBG.Q9BG

Entry Name: The Cross Keys Public House

Listing Date: 29 September 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1202741

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389582

Location: Malton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Malton

Built-Up Area: Malton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: New Malton St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Malton

Listing Text


MALTON

SE780715 WHEELGATE
801-1/8/156 (West side)
29/09/51 No.47
The Cross Keys PH

GV II*

Public house. Late C18, with earlier origins, and
incorporating C15 undercroft; C19 extensions and early C20
alterations. Ground floor refaced in red brick in Flemish
bond, with raised quoins of brick, over ashlar basement; first
floor roughcast and whitewashed; left side rendered and
whitewashed. Coped gable and rounded kneelers to pantile roof;
brick stacks at each end, left one extruded, and in centre.
2-storey 4-window front on tall basement. Cellar opening with
hinged grille at right end of basement. Round-arched entrance
contains flight of steps leading to panelled double doors. On
each side of doorway are recessed shallow 3-light bow windows
with square-lattice casements beneath segmental arches; at
right end similar 5-light window. First-floor windows are
12-pane sashes in vestigial plain surrounds with painted stone
sills. Iron-clamped guttering. INTERIOR: medieval undercroft
now forms cellar beneath right end of building. 3 narrow bays
of single-chamfered rib-vaulting on corbels with bosses.
2-centred arches on north side now blocked. Later openings in
blocked east and west walls have keyed lintels. Undercroft is
the sole surviving relic of the medieval Hospital of St Peter,
probably founded by the Gilbertine Priory of St Mary, in C12.
(Hudleston N A: History of Malton and Norton: Scarborough:
1962-: OPP. P.72).


Listing NGR: SE7864971818

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.