This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.742 / 53°44'31"N
Longitude: -0.5697 / 0°34'10"W
OS Eastings: 494433
OS Northings: 428243
OS Grid: SE944282
Mapcode National: GBR STG5.GB
Mapcode Global: WHGFN.66ZM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164773
Location: Elloughton-cum-Brough, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU15
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Elloughton-cum-Brough
Built-Up Area: Brough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Elloughton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
ELLOUGHTON CHURCH LANE
SE 92 NW
5/17 Church of Saint Mary
Church. C15 west tower, remainder rebuilt in Early English style, reusing
some old materials, by J L Pearson 1844-6. Ashlar to tower, coursed oolitic
limestone rubble with freestone dressings and slate roofs. 2-stage west
tower, 2 bay nave with south porch and single-bay transepts, 3-bay chancel.
West tower: plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets. Slit windows to first
stage. Chamfered first-floor band; 2-light pointed belfry openings with Y
tracery; eaves string course, crenellated parapet with crocketed corner
finials. West window: pointed, of 2 lights, with Perpendicular tracery.
South porch: pointed door of 2 orders with nook-shafts under hoodmould with
stylised mask stops; raised coped gable. South door: rebuilt early C13.
Pointed door of 3 moulded orders, the outer two on nook-shafts, the inner
order on an attached keel-rolled shaft. Nail head to imposts. Dogtooth
between the nook-shafts. Hoodmould. Transepts: buttresses with offsets and
moulded sill band. Paired lancets under a continuous hoodmould, pierced
quatrefoil over, raised coped gables with cross finials. Chancel: chamfered
plinth, buttresses with offsets. Sill band. Central, pointed, priests'
door flanked by triple lancets under continuous hoodmould. East elevation:
3 stepped lancets under continuous hoodmould, raised coped gable with cross
finial. The east wall incorporates an C18 tombstone with inscription to
John Robinson (date illegible). Interior: plain. Remodelled after a fire
in 1964. Segmental rear-arch with attached keeled roll to south door.
Interesting brass memorial (1928), to US Navy Officers who died in R38
airship crash, on north wall of nave. Stone pulpit reached via door from
Listing NGR: SE9443328243
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings