This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1715 / 52°10'17"N
Longitude: -1.2072 / 1°12'26"W
OS Eastings: 454312
OS Northings: 252881
OS Grid: SP543528
Mapcode National: GBR 8SZ.TWD
Mapcode Global: VHCVR.1P45
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 24 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360644
Location: Woodford cum Membris, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Woodford cum Membris
Built-Up Area: Hinton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Woodford Halse St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS WOODFORD HALSE
18/154 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
18/01/68 (Formerly listed as Church of
Church. C13-C15, restored 1878 when the tower was rebuilt and enlarged and a new
vestry and organ chamber added. Coursed squared ironstone and coursed ironstone
rubble, tile roof to nave and chancel, rest lead. Chancel, nave, north and south
aisles, west tower. 3-bay chancel with east window of three lights and cusped
intersecting tracery flanked by buttresses. A 3-light straight-headed
Perpendicular south-west window with limestone moulded surround and tracery, a
double-chamfered priests door to right, other windows of 2 lights with cusped
Y-tracery. C19 vestry and organ chamber to north-west. North and south walls
show signs of re-building. Nave has 4-window clerestory with 2-light
straight-headed Perpendicular windows except for 1-light north-west window and
simple 2-light window to left recessed in rectangular frame. 3-window aisles.
North aisle with 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery and chamfered pointed
arch of blocked north door; south aisle has 2-light straight-headed windows.
Both aisles have single lancet west windows. Gabled south porch with
double-chamfered door; tile roof. South door has moulded arch, hood mould with
label stops. 3-stage west tower has diagonal west buttresses, moulded west door
and west window of 2-lights with cusped Y-tracery. Belfry stage has 2-light
windows with foiled Y-tracery. North and south aisles have plain parapets, the
west tower battlemented parapet. Single storey lean-to store with tile roof to
north-east corner of tower. Interior: C19 stained glass east and south-east
chancel windows, cusped arch-headed piscina, raised sanctuary with encaustic
tile roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch, inner order with polygonal responds.
4-bay nave arcade: north arcade of C13 with chamfered arches and circular piers
and octagonal abaci, westernmost pillar with multi-scalloped capital. South
arcade has double-chamfered arches and octagonal piers. Other C19/C20 stained
glass windows in tower and aisle windows. Squint between south aisle and
chancel. Font with octagonal bowl possibly of 1660's (Pevsner). C19 roofs. C19 (Pevsner). C19 roofs. C19
pews in nave and chancel have some medieval elements. Early C14 effigy of a
Lady, brass of c.1400, wall monument to Mrs Knightley died 1730
(Buildings of England: Northants, p.468, Kellys Northants, 1903).
Listing NGR: SP5431252881
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings