This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3042 / 52°18'15"N
Longitude: -1.0815 / 1°4'53"W
OS Eastings: 462724
OS Northings: 267744
OS Grid: SP627677
Mapcode National: GBR 9SX.HDR
Mapcode Global: VHCV7.6BLX
Plus Code: 9C4W8W39+M9
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203352
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361096
Location: Long Buckby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Long Buckby
Built-Up Area: Long Buckby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Long Buckby St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
LONG BUCKBY CHURCH STREET
SP66NW Church of St. Lawrence
Church. Medieval. Restored 1862 by G.G. Scott and 1883-7 by W. Bassett-Smith
when aisles of 1774 were gothicised. Coursed ironstone rubble and ashlar.
Chancel, nave, aisles extending over first bay of chancel, north and south,
south porch, west tower. Chancel has 3-light Decorated windows to east end and
north and south sides with C19 tracery. Blocked round-headed door at east end of
south aisle. Nave has clerestory with C19 circular windows. Stone dated 1774
below second window from west end of north aisle. C18 lead rainwater heads and
pipes. C19 south porch. Leaded roofs behind plain parapets. 3-stage battlemented
west tower has shallow offset buttresses separated by shafts. Pointed arch top
frieze, corner gargoyles. Small lancet window to south side of middle stage;
lancet window to west end of ground floor above blocked doorway. Interior:
chancel has piscina with cusped arch and 3 seat sedilia with C19 cusped heads.
Double hollow-chamfered arches on north side of west bay of chancel, the inner
arch resting on corbels with fleurons, formerly framing tomb, of which cut-off
end survives on east side. Blocked window above. Double chamfered arch in
corresponding bay on south side, the inner arch resting on polygonal responds,
blocked square window above. Double-chamfered chancel arch, inner arch resting
on polygonal responds. Nave arcades of four bays with double-chamfered arches on
octagonal piers. East window by Evans Bros. of Shrewsbury commemorating
Shropshire vicar d.1858. Parish chest. Monument to Cilena l'Anson Bradley,
d.1726 aged 12 years: bust in square niche with draped round arch head supported
on pilasters, draped apron with inscription and fringed edge, signed John Hunt,
Northampton on base of bust - in north choir vestry. Other late C18 and early
C19 wall monuments.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.296; Whellans' Directory of
Northamptonshire, 1874; Kelly's Directory of Northamptonshire, 1890).
Listing NGR: SP6272467744
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings