This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4544 / 51°27'15"N
Longitude: -2.593 / 2°35'34"W
OS Eastings: 358894
OS Northings: 172992
OS Grid: ST588729
Mapcode National: GBR C8K.JH
Mapcode Global: VH88N.0PKX
Plus Code: 9C3VFC34+QR
Entry Name: The Rummer, with attached cellar steps, railings and gate
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 3 April 2019
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203478
English Heritage Legacy ID: 378832
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol, Christ Church with Saint Ewen, All Saints and Saint George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ALL SAINTS LANE, Centre
(North East side),
The Rummer Hotel and attached cellar steps, railings and gate
(Formerly listed as Market Tavern Public House and attached cellar steps, railings and gate.
Previously Listed as: ALL SAINTS LANE, The Rummer Hotel)
Public house. C13 cellars, rebuilt c1750, by John Wood the
Elder, refaced mid C19. Render with limestone dressings, brick
stacks and slate hipped roof. Mid Georgian style.
3 storeys, attic and basement; 5-window range. A formerly
symmetrical front has end windows set back, plinth, cornice
and parapet; a large central doorway has consoles to a
pediment, 4-panel double doors and a plate-glass overlight.
Splayed left-hand corner with a mid C19 shop front each side,
consoles to a cornice and glazing bars to windows each side of
the corner entrance, with a pediment lintel; 6/6-pane
first-floor sashes in flush frames, plate-glass ground-floor
sashes. The right return has a pedimented 3-window centre set
forward, windowless each side, a left-of-centre doorway and
single ground-floor window; steps down to cellar.
INTERIOR: mid C18 ground floor opened out: former elliptical
hall arch on panelled pilasters to good rear open-well stair
with column-on-vase balusters, uncut string and moulded,
ramped rail and matching wainscot, panelling to right-hand
rear room reached from hall through panelled doorway,
left-hand rear room has panelled pilaster strips flanking fire
surround and right-hand niche, to dentil cornice; a Parliament
Clock of 1797; semicircular-arched vaulted cellars used as
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron railings and gate
to cellar steps.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the site of a medieval hostelry. The old
Rummer tavern occupied the corner of the Exchange (qv) site
until 1741, and was rebuilt by Wood on the current site. The
destination of the first London mail coach, 8 August 1784.
(Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or
Historic Interest: Unpublished: 1979-: 2).
Listing NGR: ST5888972993
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings