This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2456 / 52°14'44"N
Longitude: -1.2091 / 1°12'32"W
OS Eastings: 454093
OS Northings: 261120
OS Grid: SP540611
Mapcode National: GBR 8S6.14B
Mapcode Global: VHCVC.0T4C
Plus Code: 9C4W6QWR+68
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 11 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203555
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361130
Location: Staverton, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Staverton
Built-Up Area: Staverton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Staverton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
STAVERTON CHURCH STREET
21/43 Church of St. Mary
18/01/68 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Mary the Virgin)
Church. Early C14-C15. Coursed ironstone rubble, ironstone ashlar, lead roof.
Chancel, with north chapel, nave and north aisle, west tower. Perpendicular east
window to chancel, 3 lights with panel tracery. 3-light Perpendicular windows in
south wall of chancel and early C14 two-light window with Y-tracery low down to
left of them. South wall of nave has in the east bay a large 3-light
Perpendicular window with square head and panel tracery. Early C14 two-light
window with Y-tracery to right of the porch. C14 porch has arch with continuous
hollow mouldings. C19 window to left of porch. Perpendicular west tower of two
stages with crenellated parapet has large double bell openings, each of two
cusped lights with transom, both under one hood. C14 west window with C19
tracery to north aisle. Early C14 lancet west of porch. Perpendicular porch has
doorway with 4-centred arch. Inner doorway has chamfered round headed arch and
old ribbed plank door. 3-light Perpendicular window with 4-centred head to left
of porch. Other windows in north wall of the north aisle are Perpendicular, of 3
lights with panel tracery and square heads. 3-light Decorated window with
reticulated tracery in east wall of north chapel. Interior: 7-bay north arcade
c.1300, has octagonal piers and arches with one hollow chamfer and one sunk
quadrant. C14 chancel arch: Decorated north chapel has 3-bay arcade opening to
chancel with octagonal piers and double hollow chamfered arches. Recess in south
wall with crocketed ogee arch and pinnacles, and piscina in cusped arch with
crocketed hood. C14 roofs in chancel and north aisle. Monument to Thomas Wylmer,
died 1580 and his family against north wall of the north chapel has Ionic
columns, fluted pilasters and entablature with metope frieze framing brass plate
with kneeling figures.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.413).
Listing NGR: SP5409361120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings