This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8471 / 51°50'49"N
Longitude: -1.3555 / 1°21'19"W
OS Eastings: 444491
OS Northings: 216700
OS Grid: SP444167
Mapcode National: GBR 7WJ.044
Mapcode Global: VHCX6.GT7V
Entry Name: 6 and 8, High Street
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Last Amended: 27 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203683
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253102
Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20
Civil Parish: Woodstock
Built-Up Area: Woodstock
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woodstock
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WOODSTOCK HIGH STREET
SP4416NW (South side)
9/110 Nos.6 and 8
18/10/49 (Formerly listed as St.
House, now 2 houses and flats. Dated H/SH/1710 on rainwater head. Limestone
ashlar; gabled stone slate roof; stone stacks to rear. Double-depth plan. 3
storeys; 5-window range. Stone lintels over central C18 six-panelled door with
overlight, and C20 panelled door set in beaded segmental-arched architrave to
left. Early C19 bow window with pilasters and moulded cornice to left of centre;
late C19 canted bay window with glazing-bar casements to right. On first floor,
early C18 six-pane sashes with thick glazing bars set in Baroque-style keyed and
segmental-arched architraves; timber lintels over C19 casements with glazing
bars on second-floor. Raised storey bands; late C19 gabled roof dormer with
horned 6-pane sash. Interior: stair-turret flanked by 2-storey outshuts to rear:
early C19 service range to rear, of colourwashed brick with C20 tile roof.
Interior: quartered stop-chamfered beams. Early C18 stone bolection-moulded
fireplace to right. Late C18 decorative fanlight to doorway leading to rear
hall, which has fine early C18 quarter-turn stairs with winders and turned
balusters set on closed string. Early C18 panelled doors to rear and first
floor. Winder stairs rise to attic, which has collar-truss roof with butt
purlins. Built for maltster Simon Hartley and his wife Mary: sold by Hartleys to
Duke of Marlborough in 1812.
(Information from VCH)
Listing NGR: SP4449116700
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings