History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Hebden, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0626 / 54°3'45"N

Longitude: -1.9617 / 1°57'42"W

OS Eastings: 402605

OS Northings: 462964

OS Grid: SE026629

Mapcode National: GBR GPRG.3F

Mapcode Global: WHB6W.V41V

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 25 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382307

Location: Hebden, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Hebden

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Hebden

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-
HEBDEN
SE 02620362 BACK LANE
(South side)
1300-/13/10001
Church of St Peter
II
Church. 1841. Designed by J P Freron. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs
with coped gables, kneelers and cross finials. Gothic Revival style. Nave, chancel, west
tower and south porch. Moulded plinth and chamfered arch corbel table. West tower
has a tall lancet on the west face, above the bell stage has a single lancet bell opening to
each face, topped with 4 corner pinnacles and a pierced parapet. Nave has a single
buttress at each corner, 4 lancets on the north side and 3 lancets on the south with
moulded cill bands. The south side has a projecting, gabled porch to the west, with a
moulded double chamfered arched outer opening and a similar inner doorway with
original wooden door. This door has 4 pointed arch panel and ornate iron hinges and
door furniture, above wooden overdoor with trefoil panel. Chancel has to the east a triple
lancet with taller central light. Interior: retains chamfered tower and chancel arches,
wooden nave roof and plaster vaulted chancel. Fittings include original doors, pews,
stone font, pulpit, reading desk and altar rail. Inserted pipe organ dated 1894 built by
Harrisons of Durham. Stained glass windows include east chancel window donated by
Rev Henry Bailey. Monuments include a brass plate World War I Memorial.
This church was built on land donated by the Rev Henry Bailey.


Listing NGR: SE0260562964

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.