This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9894 / 53°59'21"N
Longitude: -1.5371 / 1°32'13"W
OS Eastings: 430451
OS Northings: 454919
OS Grid: SE304549
Mapcode National: GBR KQQ9.0N
Mapcode Global: WHC8F.CZ9J
Entry Name: Church of St Robert (Presbytery and Repository)
Listing Date: 5 January 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382322
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1
County: North Yorkshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Low Harrogate
Built-Up Area: Harrogate
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: High Harrogate St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3054 NW ROBERT STREET
CHURCH OF ST ROBERT
Includes: No 98 STATION PARADE.
Roman catholic church with presbytery and repository. 1864, 1879 by Goldie and Child,
altered 1906 by Marten of Leeds. Red brick with ashlar dressings and welsh slate roofs with
coped gables and kneelers. Gothic revival style.
Church has nave and aisles with a short square tower to the north-east. Nave has 12 lancets
to the clerestory on the west and 11 on the east. The irregular aisles have some similar
lancets. Main front has projecting gabled porch with C20 double doors, flanked on either
side by a single lancet. Above 4 tall lancets with pink stone shafts and carved capitals, with
between a central buttress. Above a single central shaft with small lancets on either side. This
gable topped with an ashlar bellcote with spire.
To the right the square tower with ashlar bands, it is topped with a saddle-back roof with
2 bell openings on each facade. Attached to the right an ashlar pointed archway which links
to the presbytery.
Presbytery, 2 storeys and attic, with ashlar sill and hood bands. The gabled south front has
a 2 storey canted bay window with 3 plain sashes to each floor. Canted comer turret with
a single lancet to each face. East front has 2 canted bay windows under a single lean-to roof,
above 2 pairs of sashes and a small dormer. Return angle has a large sash on the ground floor
and a tripartite window above with hipped dormer.
Repository to east has 3 window south front, with central doorway and overlight flanked
by single sashes with 3 similar sashes above, and then 3 hipped dormers above. The rounded
east end has 2 sashes on the ground floor and a single sash above.
Interior; has 5 bay arcades, the northern two sub-divided within the chancel, all with circular
columns and water-leaf capitals. The original wooden roof survives, now painted white,
with similar side aisle roofs. A wooden gallery with pews and an ornate organ to the south.
Ornate Victorian side aisle chapels, original pews and stained glass.
Listing NGR: SE3045954935
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings