History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodstock, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8475 / 51°50'50"N

Longitude: -1.3558 / 1°21'20"W

OS Eastings: 444472

OS Northings: 216739

OS Grid: SP444167

Mapcode National: GBR 7WJ.01T

Mapcode Global: VHCX6.GT3L

Plus Code: 9C3WRJWV+XM

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 18 October 1949

Last Amended: 27 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253135

Location: Woodstock, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX20

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Woodstock

Built-Up Area: Woodstock

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Woodstock

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in


SP4416NW (East side)
9/143 Town Hall
18/10/49 (Formerly listed as under
Market Street)
Town hall. 1766, by Sir William Chambers, with alterations of 1898. Limestone
ashlar; hipped concrete tile roof. Square plan, with town hall raised above
market hall which was enclosed in 1898. 2-storey, 3-window range Pedimented
front: rusticated ground floor has three semi-circular arched openings blocked
in 1898, with horned sashes and crest set in open pediment of central doorway;
moulded string course, and first-floor 6-pane sashes set in moulded. stone
architraves. Modillioned eaves cornice; crest of lion and unicorn set in
tympanum. Side walls, in similar style, have similar blocked openings with late
C19 sashes, double-doors with fanlight to left; 6-pane sashes flank blind window
on first floor, and drinking fountain to right installed 1861. Interior: late
C19 dog-leg with landing staircase to first floor, which has panelled doors set
in moulded architraves; 2 mid C18 fireplaces, with fretted Greek Revival frieze
to rear. On ground floor, are Doric columns to original market hall, which has
C17 studded door to rear; late C19 pedimented doorways. C17 parish chest.
Chambers' building had a simple lock-up to the rear of the ground floor; the
staircase partly enclosed the fire engine. In 1898 the ground floor was enclosed
to form a Mayor's Parlour and Library to front and stair hall and attendant's
room to rear.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p857; Information from VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4447216739

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.