History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Common Farmhouse and Attached Garden Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourne, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8121 / 52°48'43"N

Longitude: -1.4254 / 1°25'31"W

OS Eastings: 438823

OS Northings: 323997

OS Grid: SK388239

Mapcode National: GBR 6G9.LFR

Mapcode Global: WHDHF.2LH0

Plus Code: 9C4WRH6F+VR

Entry Name: Common Farmhouse and Attached Garden Walls

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203939

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83028

Location: Melbourne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Town: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Melbourne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourne St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in


5/42 (East Side)
Common Farmhouse and
Attached Garden Walls
Farmhouse and attached garden walls. 1817. Red brick with
painted stone dressings and plain tile roof with brick gable
stacks, plus sawtooth eaves band. Double range plan, three
storeys and three bays. Central rustic wooden porch with gabled
roof over original doorcase, with a panelled door and divided
overlight. To either side there are tall 3-light windows with
horizontal sliding sashes to bottom and fixed panes above.
Similar windows above to either side and a similar 2-light
window to centre. Above smaller 3-light casements to either
side of central 2-light casement window, all below painted
rusticated wedge lintels with double keystones. Interior has a
stick baluster staircase and a back staircase between walls,
also panelled doors and panelled cupboards to either side of
western fireplace. Attached at either side to front of house
there are low brick walls with flat stone copings, finishing in
rusticated stone piers with pyramidal copings. Between the
piers there are the original early C19 railings with a central
gate. There are documents recording that the house was built in
1817 by Joseph Hazard.

Listing NGR: SK3882323997

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.