This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5518 / 53°33'6"N
Longitude: -0.4912 / 0°29'28"W
OS Eastings: 500054
OS Northings: 407191
OS Grid: TA000071
Mapcode National: GBR TW0C.FH
Mapcode Global: WHGGG.FZ9H
Plus Code: 9C5XHG25+PG
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 6 August 1976
Last Amended: 24 September 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204035
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165439
Location: Brigg, North Lincolnshire, DN20
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Brigg
Built-Up Area: Brigg
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Brigg St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
712/2/54 BIGBY STREET
06-AUG-76 (North side)
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
(Formerly listed as:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN)
Built 1841-3 by W A Nicholson, some alterations in 1883 by W White.
Small, whitish-grey stones cut and laid brick fashion. Tiled roofs.
Aisled nave and chancel, SE porch tower, N porch.
The church is tightly hemmed in externally by other buildings. Early English in style, it has paired lancet windows with detached shafts. The W window is unusually high to accommodate the neighbouring buildings, and there is a small E lancet. The tall, buttressed tower is of four stages and has a S door with a very shallow, gabled porch and lancets set within blind arcading in the bell stage. Corner pinnacles on the tower and at the W end.
The arcades have octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. There is one bay of sexpartite vaulting, probably plaster, in the chancel.
Very plain C19 nave benches and choir stalls with simple poppy heads. Some C19 and early C20 glass.
A church was first built at Brigg in 1699, which until then had been a hamlet served by the parish church at Wrawby. This Classical church was demolished and replaced by the present church in 1841-3, which was considerably larger than its predecessor. It was designed in the Early English style then fashionable by W A Nicholson (1803-53 of Lincoln). It became an independent parish in 1872, and was refurnished in 1883 by the noted Victorian church architect William White.
Pevsner, N., Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (1989), 185
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The church of St John, Brigg, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Church of 1841-3 by W A Nicholson in an attractive Early English style.
* Restored and altered in 1883 by William White.
Other nearby listed buildings