This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.947 / 51°56'49"N
Longitude: 1.286 / 1°17'9"E
OS Eastings: 625922
OS Northings: 232712
OS Grid: TM259327
Mapcode National: GBR VQK.V8F
Mapcode Global: VHLCG.7BP8
Plus Code: 9F33W7WP+Q9
Entry Name: 36 and 37, Church Street
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204163
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366486
Location: Harwich, Tendring, Essex, CO12
Civil Parish: Harwich
Built-Up Area: Harwich
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: The Harwich Peninsula
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM2532NE CHURCH STREET
609-1/1/19 (South West side)
25/09/51 Nos.36 AND 37
Two unequal sized houses. C16 origins with C17 extensions and
mid C18 remodelling. Timber-framed with red Flemish-bond brick
front and clay plain tile gabled roof. Range to rear with 3
parallel roofs at right-angles to frontage and 3 jettied
gables to rear. 2 storeys and attics.
EXTERIOR: front is symmetrical with plain parapet, modillioned
cornice of moulded brick, projecting string band between
storeys and tarred plinth with moulded coping. Central part
breaks forward with, on each floor, a flush double-hung sash
window with small panes under flat rubbed brick arches with
projecting keystones. Upper floor of each recessed part has a
narrower double-hung sash and blind window opening. Ground
floor of flanks each have similar window and
raised-and-fielded 6-panel door with moulded architraves and
pulvinated frieze (cornice hood of No.37 missing). Substantial
off-centre ridgeline stack and tall stack at southern end of
parapet. Front probably by same builder as Nos 34 & 35 (qv).
Complex consists of C16 or earlier front range, doubled in
depth in early C17. In mid C18 subdivided to form two unequal
houses. Front range of No.36 has chamfered spine beam and one
exposed part, at first floor with jowled top. No.37 has
substantial bridging joist across front range. The now
subdivided rear C17 range is a high quality frame with
quadrant moulded chamfers and lamb's tongue stops on all
horizontal members. The gables are jettied to rear at eaves
level on inward facing jowled posts.
INTERIOR: upper floor formerly one large chamber with central
stack which, rebuilt, appears above ridge of central gable.
No.36 now has mid C18 character with cupboards and L-shaped
doors and 2 corner cupboards with serpentine shelves. That on
ground floor has radiating strips on soffit. First-floor
cupboard has bolection surround and fitted doors. No.37 has
similar mid C18 character with panelled partitions flanking
entrance passage and panelled room with cornice in C17 part.
An area of C17 panelling included panelled door with cockspur
hinges. Overdoor ventilator in passage had panel of
asymmetrical diagonal bars (Chinese Chippendale). Both parts
have tight winder stairs.
Rear of No.36 is 2-storey late C17 extension with gabled clay
plain tile roof with stack at SW end. The NW elevation of this
is of mid C18 red Flemish-bond brickwork with modillioned
cornice. First floor has double-hung sash window with small
panes. Similar but smaller extension on rear of No.37, in
weatherboarding with hipped peg-tile roof and end stack.
(RCHME: Essex: London: 1922-: 135 (6)).
Listing NGR: TM2592232712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings