This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1929 / 52°11'34"N
Longitude: -1.731 / 1°43'51"W
OS Eastings: 418481
OS Northings: 254994
OS Grid: SP184549
Mapcode National: GBR 4LS.F61
Mapcode Global: VHB0J.Y47R
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 9 February 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366189
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Shottery St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP1854 CHURCH LANE, Shottery
604-1/5/302 (East side)
09/02/72 Church of St Andrew
Church. 1870. By Joseph Lattimore (or Lattimer). Brick with
some blue brick diapering and ashlar dressings; slate roof.
Single-vessel nave and chancel with apse; vestry projects east
from north transept; south porch. C13 style details.
Blue-brick-coped plinth and cornices; coped gables with
EXTERIOR: apse has canted end with corbelled gablet over
2-light plate tracery window with banded arch and sexfoil, and
flanking windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights; some diapering
and flush sill band. 4-bay nave has offset buttresses flanking
windows of 3 single-chamfered trefoil-headed lights. Bellcote
to east end has splayed base to diagonally-set open stage with
slate fleche and large finial; roof has triangular louvred
dormers. North side has gabled organ loft with shouldered
lintel to entrance and additional bay to end, with plate
tracery window, linked to vestry, which has north window as
nave and straight-headed window to south. South side of nave
has basement area and date stone to right of gabled porch with
2 small ?altered lights and left return entrance with shaped
lintel and plank door. West end has 4-light plate tracery
window with banded Florentine arch; iron finial.
INTERIOR: simple hammer-beam roof with king posts; Florentine
chancel arch on corbelled black shafts with rich carving;
small window to north of apse has sill between carved stops
and gable with angel corbels, crockets and fleuron, adjacent
arch to organ loft.
FITTINGS: timber reredos and brass altar rail on scrolly
supports, similar fronts to choir stalls enclosed by low
screens with pierced quatrefoils, and cusped arches to doors;
timber pulpit has canted front with Moorish style lattice work
panels and vine-trail cornice; 1872 font has plain bowl on
hexagonal base with 3 twined fish forming shaft.
STAINED GLASS: some C19 glass to apse, including head of
Christ, and figure of St Cecilia to north of apse; one C20
window to north side of nave.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
Listing NGR: SP1848154994
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings