This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5377 / 51°32'15"N
Longitude: -0.1104 / 0°6'37"W
OS Eastings: 531149
OS Northings: 183776
OS Grid: TQ311837
Mapcode National: GBR M2.CZ
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.1MH3
Plus Code: 9C3XGVQQ+3R
Entry Name: 118-160, Barnsbury Road
Listing Date: 30 September 1994
Last Amended: 15 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204578
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368549
Location: Barnsbury, Islington, London, N1
Electoral Ward/Division: Barnsbury
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew Barnsbury
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3183NW BARNSBURY ROAD
635-1/58/61 (East side)
and attached railings
23 terraced houses. c.1820. Yellow and brown stock bricks;
roofs obscured by parapet, brick party-wall stacks. Side-hall
entrance plan with staircase. Three storeys with basement,
nos. 128, 134, 140 with attic; 2 windows each. Gauged brick
round-arched ground-floor openings. Steps rise to entrance in
right bay: doorway with fluted 1/4 column jambs carrying
corniced-head, original 6-panelled door, and fanlight of
varying patterns (no. 118 C20; nos. 120, 122, 126, 136, 138,
140, & 150 plain). 6/6 sashes throughout: nos. 118-122,
126-134, 140-144, 148-158 ground-floor sashes with curved and
radial glazing bars. Gauged brick flat-arches to upper floor
sashes: 1st floor full-length sashes (no. 120 3/3 sash) set in
round-arched panelled recesses linked by stucco imposts (no.
146 altered & rebuilt without panelled recesses) and with
coupled iron-bracketed balconies (no. 118 with individual
balconies; no. 146 missing, many added or renewed C20) with
Gothic style trefoil and arch pattern to iron railings (nos.
138 & 158 with alternate pattern); 2nd floor 3/3 sashes to
nos. 120, 122, & 158. Plain parapets with brick string course
and stone coping (no. 128 reworked & set-back; brick string
course to nos. 142-144; stone coping to nos. 146-148 &
156-158; modillioned brick & stuccoed cornice to nos.
150-154). Attached cast-iron area railings with urn finials.
Formerly called Arundel Terrace.
Interiors not inspected. No. 140 altered on ground floor by
removal of entrance hall wall.
Listing NGR: TQ3114983775
Other nearby listed buildings