This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.996 / 51°59'45"N
Longitude: -0.9918 / 0°59'30"W
OS Eastings: 469315
OS Northings: 233542
OS Grid: SP693335
Mapcode National: GBR 9XQ.VF5
Mapcode Global: VHDT8.R3J5
Plus Code: 9C3XX2W5+C7
Entry Name: Yeomanry Hall and Attached Building Bordering Yard to South yeomanry House
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 21 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204843
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377185
Location: Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Buckingham
Built-Up Area: Buckingham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Buckingham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP6933 HUNTER STREET
879-1/6/86 (West side)
13/10/52 Yeomanry House, Yeomanry Hall and
attached building bordering yard to
(Formerly Listed as:
Former barracks, officer's house and Masonic hall, now part of
University of Buckingham. Early C19, altered C20.
House is rendered with incised masonry patterns with slate
roof and brick end stacks. L-plan. 3-storeys; 3-window range.
Central 6-panel, double-leaf doors approached by 2 stone steps
with leaded overlight, panelled reveals and moulded, rendered
surround with pediment supported on console brackets. 16-pane
sash windows to ground and 1st floors. 12-pane sashes to 2nd
floor, all with rendered sills. Plinth with hollow-chamfered
top moulding. Pilaster strips either end and flanking central
bay with Ionic capitals. Moulded cornice with egg-and-dart
ornament and coped parapet. 2-storey wing to rear right.
Masonic hall to left of red brick in English bond with slate
roof. Gable end facing street has leaded 3-light moulded wood
mullion window with 3 transoms; top transom thicker than rest
with additional ornament and Tudor-arched heads to top lights.
Window has raised brick surround, moulded sill and flat-arched
head. Side elevation to left has 3 bays of similar windows
with 1 transom and stop-chamfered wood lintels. Projecting bay
or oriel to inner end left side has similar windows of 4
lights to front and 1 light to sides, all with 2 transoms and
stop-chamfered wood lintels. Street end has wave-moulded
plinth, moulded sill band, rusticated brick quoins above band
end pediment framed by brick mouldings. Angles and apex of
pediment are of ironstone and gable has ironstone kneeler to
left. Cogged brick eaves to side.
Former barracks surround remaining sides of yard and are of
coursed squared limestone faced with red brick in Flemish bond
to yard elevations, now partly rendered; slate roofs. Gable
end facing street has loft door with wood lintel. 2-storey
yard elevations have sash and casement windows. Semicircular
windows to ground floor of range behind house which was
probably formerly stabling. Cogged brick eaves.
INTERIOR: house has former open-well stair with painted stick
balusters and mahogany handrail. Hall has 4-bay open roof with
arch-braced, brattished tie beams resting on stone corbels,
queen posts to collars, king posts and 3 tiers of through
purlins. First floor of former barrack building, now library,
has stop-chamfered beams. One near centre of main range bears
painted inscription: LORD NELSON DYING TRIUMPHANT OVER THE/
COMBINED FLEETS OF FRANCE AND SPAIN/ OCTR 21ST 1805 and on
timber lintel of nearby window Burdett and Liberty forever.
Other faded inscriptions dated 1819. L-shaped room beyond with
open roof of tie beams, queen struts and 2 tiers of butt
purlins. Trusses are numbered for assembly in Roman numerals.
Listing NGR: SP6931533542
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings