History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parkers East parkers West parkers West and East

A Grade II Listed Building in Gittisham, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7792 / 50°46'45"N

Longitude: -3.2279 / 3°13'40"W

OS Eastings: 313525

OS Northings: 98453

OS Grid: SY135984

Mapcode National: GBR P8.Q9XT

Mapcode Global: FRA 4741.08Z

Entry Name: Parkers East parkers West parkers West and East

Listing Date: 27 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204969

English Heritage Legacy ID: 87164

Location: Gittisham, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Gittisham

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Gittisham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Gittisham

Listing Text

GITTISHAM GITTISHAM, (north side)
SY 19 NW

7/162 Parkers West and East
-

GV II

House, divided into 2. Circa 1700-1720, possibly a thorough rebuilding of an
earlier house, early C20 re-roofing and some refenestration. Hand-made brick laid
in Flemish bond with blue headers, some flint rubble to rear left; tiled roof,
half-hipped at ends; axial stack to left of centre, 2 front lateral stacks serving
corner fireplaces, all with handmade brick shafts with some C20 brick repair.
Plan: The basic plan is a single depth block, 3 rooms wide with the principal
entrance into a wide passage to right of centre with a fine dog-leg stair dividing
into 2 flights at the rear of the passage. Principal parlour to the right, kitchen
to the left, small parlour/dining room in the centre. The kitchen has a heated
half-basement. A number of features suggest that both the exterior and the plan
underwent alterations either during or shortly after the early C18. Evidence of
alteration to the stair hall was found during renovations (information from Mr and
Mrs Fallows) and the partition between the kitchen and centre room has been altered
at least twice. There are several blocked windows on the rear wall and right
return, some blocked with early C18 bricks. The single depth plan, general layout
and survival of flint and some cob walling suggests the possibility that the house
was built on the ground plan of an earlier house.
Exterior: Rather eccentric with an irregularly stepped eaves line, partly 2
storeys, partly 3 storeys, partly 2 storey and attic. It seems likely that the C18
building was 3 storeys and attic and the existing profile is the result of
Edwardian alteration in a Vernacular Revival style. C18 front door to right of
centre with 6 fielded panels and a pretty circa 1830s Gothick overlight with cusped
glazing bars. C18 horizontal doorhood on shaped brackets. The three right hand
ground floor windows are C18 12-pane sashes with segmental brick arches and brick
dripmoulds (Parkers East). To the left (Parkers West) there is a C20 timber French
window with glazing bars flanked on the right by an C18 8-pane sash with a
dripmould; a 12-pane C18 sash to the left with a flat brick arch; C20 casement to
ground floor left. The first floor of Parkers East has a 12-pane C18 sash to the
left and 3 2-light transomed early C20 timber windws with glazing bars. Parkers
West has a first floor 3-light early C20 casement and an 8-pane C18 sash, the eaves
line stepping up above the windows. The 2nd floor (Parkers East only) has a 3-
light casement with glazing bars and 2 early C20 casements, one an attic dormer.
The right return has blocked windows to both the ground and first floor, a late
C18/early C19 16-pane sash to the second floor and a similar 12-pane ground floor
sash which may have been converted from a doorway. The rear elevation has 4
blocked rear windows, a first floor 30-pane sash, a 16-pane window lighting the
stair and a C20 dormer. Parkers West has a 2-light casement. A C19 or early C20
brick outshut extends along part of the rear wall. The left return has C20
transomed timber windows and an earlier window lighting the half-basement.
Interior: High status features of the early C18. There is evidence that the main
stair (in Parkers East) is secondary but it is circa 1730, a dog-leg dividing into
2 flights with balustrades. It has an open string with stylized ornament, very
slender turned balusters, clustered balusters for newels and a ramped, flat-topped,
moulded handrail. Both ground floor rooms in Parkers East have decorated plaster
ceilings, the right hand room with a central oval motif, a rose, and scallops at
the corners; the left hand room with a rectangular motif decorated with trails of
naturalistic leaves: oak, ivy etc. and a moulded cornice. C18 doors survive on the
ground and first floor, some with original hinges. The left hand end of the house
(Parkers West), is plainer, the stack serves both the former kitchen and the half-
basement which has a bread oven.
Roof: Early C20.
A modestly-scaled gentry house of the early C18 with an attractive use of hand-made
brick and good quality interior features. It is in a prominent position in the
village, on rising ground and a foil to the vernacular thatched buildings in the
village centre.


Listing NGR: SY1352598453

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.