This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9334 / 51°56'0"N
Longitude: 1.2547 / 1°15'16"E
OS Eastings: 623839
OS Northings: 231102
OS Grid: TM238311
Mapcode National: GBR VQQ.L21
Mapcode Global: VHLCF.PNNQ
Plus Code: 9F33W7M3+9V
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366580
Location: Harwich, Tendring, Essex, CO12
Civil Parish: Harwich
Built-Up Area: Harwich
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: The Harwich Peninsula
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM2231SE MAIN ROAD, Dovercourt
609-1/5/170 (North side)
25/09/51 Church of All Saints
Church. Medieval with C19 and C20 restoration including
documented phase of 1897. Late C20 addition to north side of
no special interest.
MATERIALS: septaria with pebbledashed render; limestone ashlar
dressings; plain tile roofs.
PLAN: west tower square in plan with diagonal buttresses and
stair turret to north-east. Unbuttressed nave with south porch
and 3-bay chancel with off-set buttresses.
EXTERIOR: late C14 three-stage tower, the embattled top stage
rebuilt by 1867. 2-centred double-chamfered west door under a
stopped hoodmould, stonework much renewed. 2-light
double-chamfered west window has hoodmould with head stops,
the southern one defaced and rendered over. Decorated tracery
and window head renewed. Silence chamber has cusped light to
west and south sides, the latter concealed by clock face.
Square-headed externally splayed bellstage openings with
timber tracery. Polygonal stair turret to north with 2 arched
Nave C12, refenestrated C14. To south wall from west, a
deeply-splayed slit window unblocked 1958; a 2-light window
renewed in Decorated style; a 2-light window to the east of
the porch, of c1340 with curvilinear tracery in a
double-chamfered surround with ovolo hoodmould with stops; to
the east a square-headed, low level post-medieval window,
partially renewed. To north wall of nave, 2 Y-tracery windows
in chamfered surrounds, partially renewed, and a reopened C12
slit window to the west of the C14 north door. South porch
rebuilt in red brick, probably in 1897, reusing the medieval
responds and 2-centred ovolo-headed arch.
C14 south door with ovolo arch and hoodmould, chamfered stoup
adjoining. Large post-medieval buttress at junction of nave
and chancel on south side. North and south chancel walls have
lowside lancets and 2 Y-tracery windows with ovolo hoodmoulds.
Stonework largely renewed. East wall with 3-light windows with
curvilinear tracery said to be late C19 rebuild. Rendered
C19/C20 priests' door to south.
INTERIOR: 2-centred tower arch with polygonal capitals and
high bases to responds and wave-moulded jambs, arch reused
C19. Nave window rere arches largely medieval, some stone
removal. C13 chamfered nave piscina. 4-centred lower door to
rood stair on north. Section of C12 nookshaft apparently
forming east jamb of round-arch opening with traces of carved
decoration, incorporated into upper entrance of rood stair.
3-bay crown post nave roof of late C14 with arch-braced
moulded tie beams. Tall octagonal crown posts with crown
capitals braced to collar purlin; double collars at half-bay
intervals. Moulded beam dated 1615 GW spanning chancel arch
with vine scroll decoration and scrolled braces. Timber
chancel arch of C19/C20. 3-bay crown post chancel roof ceiled
in 7 cants; the octagonal posts appear medieval.
FITTINGS: C19 benches throughout, set to rear of nave with
poppyheads. C14 font with tracery patterns to octagonal bowl.
Timber poor box dated 1589. C20 rood screen and pulpit;
reredos 1915. C18 barleysugar altar rails. Credo and
paternoster boards flank east window, surmounted by early C20
wall-paintings of angels bearing Instruments of the Passion.
Black and white marble wall tablet of 1820 to the Whinfield
family. Mid C15 brass mounted on north wall of chancel.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Domesday survey shows the manor belonged
to Alberic de Vere, who appropriated the church to Colne
(RCHME: Essex NE: London: 1922-: 86 (2); Whites Directory:
1863-: 527; Kelly's Directory: 1899-: 209; Hewett C A: Church
Carpentry: 1982-: 103; Barnes R: Engraving of 1807: Mint
Listing NGR: TM2383931102
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings