This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.901 / 52°54'3"N
Longitude: -1.6962 / 1°41'46"W
OS Eastings: 420533
OS Northings: 333767
OS Grid: SK205337
Mapcode National: GBR 4B9.3Z9
Mapcode Global: WHCFR.XBGX
Plus Code: 9C4WW823+9G
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 19 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82664
Location: Church Broughton, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE65
Civil Parish: Church Broughton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Church Broughton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 23 SW; 3/10
PARISH OF CHURCH BROUGHTON,
MAIN STREET (north side)
Church of St Michael and All Angels
Parish Church. C12, early C14, C15, early C18 and 1845.
Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Chamfered
plinth. Low-pitched C15 lead roofs with stone coped gables.
West tower, aisled nave with south porch and chancel.
tower has angle buttresses with three set-offs and a north-east
stair turret, polygonal and semicircular. The ground stage has
a C14 cusped ogee lancet with hoodmould to south, a 2-light
window with Y-tracery set in chamfered surround to west, and
2-light cusped Dec bell-openings to all faces. Battlements with
large gargoyles and C19 circular pinnacles. Stone spire with a
single tier of lucarnes. C14 roof line visible on the east face
of the tower. C19 gabled south porch. The south aisle has four
buttresses and two 2-light C14 windows with cusped ogee tracery,
renewed in the right hand window. South aisle east window of
three cusped lancet lights, like the tower west window, probably
of c1300. C15 clerestory with three plain early C18 2-light
mullioned windows. The south side of the chancel has three
buttresses with two set-offs, and from left to right, a 3-light
mullioned and transomed window with re-used C14 cusped tracery,
set in a chamfered surround. Below is a renewed cusped ogee
tomb recess with quatrefoil frieze on the tomb chest. Priests
doorway with two moulded orders , and two 2-light cusped ogee
windows in chamfered surrounds. String course beneath the
window. 5-light east window with reticulated tracery and
hoodmould. The north side of the chancel has three buttresses
and three 2-light windows, as on the south side. North aisle
east window of c1300, similar to the south aisle east window.
North aisle north wall rebuilt in ashlar in 1845, with two
2-light windows similar to those on the south side. Clerestory
on south side. South doorway with roll and hollow mouldings
and moulded imposts.
THE INTERIOR has a triple-chamfered tower
arch, the outer order dying into the imposts. Early C14 four
bay arcades with circular piers, double-chamfered arches,
moulded polygonal capitals, and semicircular responds. The
western-most piers are broader, the two semicircular responds
with a piece of wall between, and have re-set grotesque figures.
The north-east respond is C12 with scalloped capital. C19
chancel arch in Early English Style. In the south wall of the
chancel. early C14, stepped sedilia with cusped ogee arches and
a similar piscina. Re-set C14 head corbels left and right of
the east window. Small trefoil window on south side of chancel
looking into the external tomb recess. Cusped piscina with
fluted drain, in the south aisle. C12 tapering tub font, with
bold motif of zigzag and intersecting circles. Similar to one
at Somersal Herbert.
Monuments: Chancel north c1839 by Hall of
Derby, a marble tablet with draped urn on a slate obelisk back
plate. Brass memorial tablet, chancel north, c1904 by Jones &
Willis. Marble and slate tablet, chancel south, c1832 signed
Stained glass in the east window 1904 by
Hardman. Pulpit of 1750 with raised and fielded panels.
Painting, in the south aisle of George IV's coat of arms, 1827.
Benefaction boards in the west wall, dated 1728.
Listing NGR: SK2052833765
Other nearby listed buildings