This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4154 / 51°24'55"N
Longitude: -2.6189 / 2°37'8"W
OS Eastings: 357054
OS Northings: 168669
OS Grid: ST570686
Mapcode National: GBR JP.Q3XX
Mapcode Global: VH88T.KPB9
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 4 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205207
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379165
Location: Bristol, BS13
Electoral Ward/Division: Bishopsworth
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bishopsworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5768 CHURCH ROAD, Bishopsworth
901-1/50/412 (West side)
04/03/77 Church of St Peter
Church. 1842. By SC Fripp. Squared Lias rubble with limestone
ashlar dressings and a slate roof.
Apsidal chancel, crossing tower and aisled nave. Norman
Small, round-arched windows include a group of 3 in the E end
above a torus string and beneath a similar hoodmoulding, and a
weathered ovolo corbel table. Short, square chancel tower with
a pyramidal roof and a round ashlar staircase tower at the NE
corner with a beehive roof and a round-arched door at the
bottom. Clocks on N and S sides of tower, over a blind arcade
on the S side.
The N aisle of 3 bays separated by pilasters, beneath a
weathered corbel table and parapet. W porch has a coped gable
end with 3-window range, and E-facing door with a semicircular
arch, round responds with cushion capitals in a gabled
entrance, and 2-leaf door with strap hinges. SE porch below
the tower has a door with a shouldered lintel and single
light; S elevation as the N. The W end is 5 bays, 1:3:1
separated by buttresses, with higher middle lights with
beakhead stops to the hoods, and a small rose window flanked
by blind single lights under the apex. Celtic cross finial.
INTERIOR: stone Norman-style reredos and small piscina in the
apse, which is separated from the single-bay chancel by a
square section arch. Similar chancel arch, on carved
Romanesque corbels; organ loft to the N. 5-bay nave arcade of
round piers with semicircular pilaster strips on the sides,
cushion capitals and semicircular arches, springing from a
carved corbel at the chancel end and terminating in a respond
in the W wall. Braced queen-post nave roof, and plain aisle
trusses resting on the arcade pilaster strips. Fittings
include a stone Norman-style font. A fine example of the
Norman Revival of the 1840s, the style being carried through
to a good interior.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 296; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 463).
Listing NGR: ST5705468669
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings