This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9467 / 51°56'47"N
Longitude: 1.2873 / 1°17'14"E
OS Eastings: 626018
OS Northings: 232678
OS Grid: TM260326
Mapcode National: GBR VQK.VPF
Mapcode Global: VHLCG.8BFJ
Entry Name: Old Harbour Antiques
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205211
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366608
Location: Harwich, Tendring, Essex, CO12
Civil Parish: Harwich
Built-Up Area: Harwich
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: The Harwich Peninsula
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM2632NW MARKET STREET
609-1/2/100 (North West side)
Old Harbour Antiques
Shop and flat, late C16 and early C19. Timber-framed with
brick front, pebbledashed with Welsh slate low pitched roof.
Front range 3 storeys with 2-window range of double-hung
sashes with 2 vertical glazing bars on 2nd floor and margin
glazed on first floor. Ground floor has C19 shop front with
faience pilasters, stallrisers and on flank of entrance with
pictorial panel depicting apple picking. Hardwood shop front
with vent grille, turned mullions and arched heads. Etched
glass on door with 'Smith' and vase of flowers and vegetables.
Rear block is of 2 storeys and attic storey with gabled roof
of clay plain tiles. Suffolk verge boards and double-hung sash
windows with small panes. Ground floor part-jettied with
former open rear arcade.
INTERIOR: front range has early C19 staircase with column
newels. First-floor room has ornate C19 cornice and ceiling
rose and marble fireplace with tile inserts. Doorway at rear
of shop has head formed of 2 jetty brackets, one with deer
carved in spandrel and one with pelican. Supporting the latter
is post with full-length female figure, crowned and holding
mirror and shield charged with a fesse nebuly. The letters
OENS or DENS are inscribed below. Other jamb a reused fascia
with running trail ornament of pomegranates. On the stairs is
part of a fascia board, with adorned, bearded human-headed
leopards with a cartouche inscribed E.C.
2-storeys-and-attics rear range has frame of 2 large bays and
narrow bay. Latter formed open passage on NW side supported at
its centre on a chamfered post. At NE end a contemporary
arched door head supported on corner post with bearded male
'Elizabethan' figure with crown and sword. (Probably female
figure formed other jamb.) Doorhead has 2 lamb-like creatures
carved and central cartouche with date inscribed 1588.
The NE side was jettied and surviving corner bracket has, in
spandrel, a crowned male figure with sceptre standing in
pulpit-like structure. The frame has stop-chamfered spine
beams and bridging joists, jowled posts carrying end tie beams
and one near centre. Roof of 3 bays, unrelated to storey
posts, 'A' framed with lodged side purlins and arched wind
bracing. Truncated brick stack on SW flank.
(RCHME: Essex NE: London: 1922-: 136 (25)).
Listing NGR: TM2601832678
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings