This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2149 / 52°12'53"N
Longitude: 0.6099 / 0°36'35"E
OS Eastings: 578397
OS Northings: 260618
OS Grid: TL783606
Mapcode National: GBR QF7.50M
Mapcode Global: VHJGT.JL8F
Plus Code: 9F426J75+XX
Entry Name: Old Lodge and Old Lodge Cottage
Listing Date: 25 August 1983
Last Amended: 10 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205219
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363104
Location: Chevington, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP29
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Chevington
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Chevington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
In the entry for
TL 76SE NEW ROAD
1/29 Old Lodge
The address shall be amended to read:-
Old Lodge and
Old Lodge Cottage
The description shall be amended to read:-
Farmhouse,subdivided into two cottages. Mid C16, with alterations of C17 and later,
3-cell plan with both cross-passage and lobby entrances. 2 storeys and attics.
Timber-framed and plastered. Plain tiled roof with a C16/C17 axial chimney of red
brick, built in 2 stages. Rear and end chimneys of red brick added C18 and C19. Mid
C20 metal casements. A C20 flush entrance door to each cottage, at lobby entrance
and cross-passage entrance respectively. A few substantial C16 framing members
exposed; a large axial chimney between hall and parlour cells has blocked open
fireplaces. Attic floors have ogee-moulded binding joists; probably inserted in
early C17. Two 2-storey C17/C18 rear wings. A hunting lodge stood upon this site
c 1550, when Thomas Kitson of Hengrave Hall held the Manor of Chevington Hall. The
lodge may possibly be incorporated in this building.
TL 76 SE CHEVINGTON NEW ROAD
1/29 Old Lodge
Farmhouse, mid C16. 2 storeys and attics, 3 windows. Timber-framed, rendered.
Plaintiled roof; axial C16 chimney of red brick. C20 casements and entrance
doors. A hunting lodge used by the family of Thomas Kitson of Hengrave c.1550
stood on this site. Although the architectural evidence is obscured, this C16
house is probably that building.
Listing NGR: TL7840060590
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings