This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4557 / 52°27'20"N
Longitude: 1.5597 / 1°33'34"E
OS Eastings: 641950
OS Northings: 290153
OS Grid: TM419901
Mapcode National: GBR XMK.54H
Mapcode Global: VHM6J.ZJFT
Plus Code: 9F43FH45+7V
Entry Name: Leman House
Listing Date: 16 March 1948
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205376
English Heritage Legacy ID: 362941
Location: Beccles, East Suffolk, Suffolk, NR34
District: East Suffolk
Civil Parish: Beccles
Built-Up Area: Beccles
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Beccles St Michael and Saint Luke
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 4190 2/13 16.3.48.
16th century with considerable later additions. 2 storeys and attic
with 4 dormers. Frontage, about 75 ft, with 7 windows with label mouldings
and wood 4-centred arched heads, some original perhaps, 1762 (see below).
Small porch at back with ogee brick arched window with sashes in flush frame,
and curious glazing bars reflecting ogee curves. Over this porch is a bell
turret. 1 original 16th century window frame at back, and 7 replacements
of probable 16th century casements. 1, 16th century, remains in attic.
The front is of worked flints with many red brick headers. Suffolk
yellow brick quoins and window jambs. Brick gable ends corbelled at
eaves. Wood cornice with pointed arched enrichment above bed mould. 2 doors
6-panel (modern) in 18th century wood case in 16th century style with 4-centre
wood frame under square lintol with stone label moulding. There is an
incription in slate surrounded with stone moulding on end wall stating that
"Sir John Leman Knt., Alderman of London founded this school .... AD MDCXXI
and ..... This building was prepared and beautified under direction of
O Holmes, and E Brooke .... Portreeves of the Corporation and other Governors
of this Charity AD MDCCLXII". There is a small apparently contemporary
tablet inside with Latin inscription stating that Sir John Leman endowed the
School in 1631, and a date in iron wall ties of 1670 on the north gable end.
There is evidence of the earlier date of the building in Sir John Leman's
will dated 8 July 1631 which reads:- "I give and Bequeath all that messuage
... now used for a school house ... situated in Beccles ... in a certain street
called Ballygate". Regarding the extensive alterations made at the date 1792,
all records of the administration of the Charity exist, and the minutes of the
meeting in 1762 and 1763 have been referred to and the following extract made:-
January 1762"141 Timbers and 1 Pollard sold to Mr Randall Abbott for £253,
33 Pollards for 14.7 to pay for alterations now being done". 8 January 1762
"Alterations and additions to the School house indicated and described in
certain estimates and plan by Mr Chs Wright." 6 March 1763 "The sum of
£272 16s 6d was ordered to be laid out in and about certain alterations to the
school house which were undertaken to be done for that sum by Chs Wright of
Beccles and whereas several subsequent alterations and additions have been made
and other ones adjudged still necessary. It is therefore hereby agreed that a
sum not exceeding £100 shall be raised as soon as may be by the sale of wood
and timber off lands belonging to the said School." The above sum would cover
very extensive alterations, including facing the front with flint and bonding
with the brick headers. In the present century the house became a private
residence again and internal alterations made. NMR photos.
Listing NGR: TM4195090153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings