This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2723 / 50°16'20"N
Longitude: -5.0611 / 5°3'40"W
OS Eastings: 181968
OS Northings: 45852
OS Grid: SW819458
Mapcode National: GBR ZD.KZPN
Mapcode Global: FRA 0899.S2Q
Plus Code: 9C2P7WCQ+WH
Entry Name: Church of St Keyne
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 30 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205410
English Heritage Legacy ID: 377401
Location: Truro, Cornwall, TR1
Civil Parish: Truro
Built-Up Area: Truro
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Kenwyn with St Allen
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW84NW KENWYN CHURCH ROAD
880-1/1/82 (East side)
29/12/50 Church of St Keyne
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Cuby)
Parish church. Consecrated 1259, extended C15, greatly
restored 1819 and 1860. Local rubble with granite and some
freestone dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable
ends and crested clay ridge tiles. Originally a cruciform plan
of which north wall of nave, chancel and possibly foundations
of north transept survive, extended in the early C15 with
south aisle and south porch and in later C15 with west tower;
organ transept rebuilt probably 1860.
3-stage tower has angle buttresses set back from the corners,
string courses dividing stages; embattled papapet with
crocketed corner pinnacles; round-arched west doorway with C15
three-light traceried window above and traceried louvred
windows to belfry. Tower windows are typical late C15
Perpendicular style; C15 windows to north and south aisle
windows have Y tracery, some have had mullions and tracery
restored in the C19.
C15 south porch doorway has moulded responds and 4-centred
arch; inner doorway also 4-centred. C19 windows: to transepts,
to west window of aisle, to east end of aisle and 5-light east
window to chancel, with interesting tracery.
INTERIOR: plastered walls; C15 tower arch and tall standard
A-type (Pevsner) arcade with 4-centred arches; C19 waggon
roofs to nave, chancel and aisle. C19 arch-braced roofs to
transepts. C19 memorial windows with coloured glass: east
chancel to Carlyon, north chancel to George and Jacobi
Cornish; south chancel to J R Cornish; west tower to Carlyon,
choir aisle south to Tippett and Blamey; south transept east
to Reverend Charles Burgess, west to William Mansell Tweedy.
Fittings: C17 painted letter from Charles I; otherwise C19
fittings including granite font, pews and pulpit and freestone
reredos with trefoil-headed squat colonnade of 9 bays.
Monuments: in north transept nowy-headed plaster and slate
wall monument to Edmund Powell 1784; in south transept wall
marble to John Richards Paul of Bosvigo 1826-1907, north wall
Gothic-style limestone wall monument to William Mitchell 1845,
south wall marble monument with urn by Isbell to George John
(and family) 1808 of Trehaverne and marble monument with
shield and urn by King to George Nicholas John 1797, aged 8.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London:
Listing NGR: SW8196845852
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings